Transferring WIndows 10 to a new PC question(s)

ivesy 15:09 27 Jul 2019

Hi

I've taken the plunge and ordered a new PC, to stay within budget I had to omit a couple of things one of which was the O/S. I thought it would be straightforward but I can't see anything online that helps so I thought I'd try here as it's been a great help in the past for me.

Ok, I have a boxed version of Windows 7 home with the key on the booklet. I upgraded to Windows 8 (and I've literally just found the email with the key) via an email from Microsoft to take advantage of the upgrade offer. From then I upgraded again for free to Windows 10.

My question is will I be able to somehow transfer my Windows 10 licence onto the new PC?

If not, what are my options? I've looked online and can prices are all over the place for Windows 10 Home. To further complicate matters, if I do need a new version it would have to be on a flash drive as (another cost cut) I thought I wouldn't need a DVD drive! I've seen prices online ranging from £109 to £15 on eBay.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I hope all that made sense :)

wee eddie 17:25 29 Jul 2019

If you can, it will save you money to ask the PC Makers to include an OS in your purchase. They pay very little for an OEM Version of Windows

rickf 20:06 29 Jul 2019

Try wee eddie's suggestion. A few £s more but saves you a lot of hassles.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)