Toshiba Laptop Boot Up Problem

Salamander7 14:45 28 Jul 2018

I have a 3 yr old Toshiba Satellite CB 50 running Windows 10. Windows is fully updated. I have a very frustrating problem which is getting worse. When I switch on I get the Toshiba logo followed by spinning dots then a gray screen. Nothing else happens so I switch by using the power switch. When I try to boot again I get the Toshiba splash screen, spinning dots but now the dots just stop this time no gray screen. I switch off. Third boot either takes me to the repair options or finally boots successfully. Sometimes this happens after the computer has gone to sleep following a period of inactivity. I am at my wits end because I cant rely on the the thing starting up without an hours faffing. Any ideas people?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 28 Jul 2018

In he repair options have you tried a start up repair?

if that doesn't find anything then run chkdsk /f c: from a command prompt to check the drive.

if all else fails back up your important data and do a reset from the reair options

Salamander7 17:41 28 Jul 2018

Many thanks for the response, Fruitbat.

Yes I have tried start up repair but I get the message Windows cannot Repair. I have not tried chkdsk from command prompt but Windows has checked disk for errors during one of the many false starts ending up at the recovery screen: it couldn't n't find any errors. In the system log file I got the following error message I presume it relates to when the machine did not wake from sleep and I had to switch off in order to start again. EVENT 41 source Kernel-Power The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lot power unexpectedly.

There are numerous copies of exactly the same error in the log file.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 28 Jul 2018

Nothing else happens so I switch by using the power switch.

this is why you get kernel 41

I suggest you do a reset of windows.

Salamander7 20:41 31 Jul 2018

An update. After two days of faffing including three windows reinstalls I concluded my HDD was failing. I replaced the HDD and now the laptop boots as normal. Was considering buying a new laptop but for the 30 quid it cost to replace the HDD I now have a working machine. Thanks for your replies Fruitbat :)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs