Today I cannot access windows updares

john bunyan 12:12 30 Jan 2019
Answered

I get the following when I try to update windows 10

I have verified internet connection.

john bunyan 08:21 01 Feb 2019

The bleeping computer link from Al94 shows how spasmodic and widespread is this problem. In effect I think MS did a new clean install of 1809 on my desktop, but also changed the DNS profile as in the article. Also I use Defender, the update of which is also mentioned in the article. I will monitor my desktop that is now fully up to date, but leave the laptop to see if MS updates sort themselves out . All in all a very confusing matter

john bunyan 08:25 01 Feb 2019

PS The other factor mentioned is that ,as I did after updating to 1809 months ago, was using disk cleanup to delete the windows.old folder.

Al94 09:15 01 Feb 2019

I'm heading away for the weekend so won't be looking at this till I get back (hopefully resolved by then). I see it's being discussed on the BT forum so might be worth keeping an eye on BT Forum

john bunyan 15:13 01 Feb 2019
Answer

Looking at all the input, the long winded procedure that MS did on my desktop was too complicated. On my laptop, using the bleeping computer link, I changed my network adapter DNS settings to Primary 8 8 8 8 and alternate to 8 8 4 4 . Closed and retried and the .Net Framework and the KB4476976 came in with no trouble. Therefore if anyone still has this problem I would recommend doing the same. I now have version .292 on my laptop with no faffing about with windows.old etc. A great pity that MS have not communicated this more widely.

john bunyan 15:28 01 Feb 2019

This link explains it

Updates

john bunyan 15:13 02 Feb 2019

MJS W

Did you locate your network adapter from the link. Not the hub, but the adapter that connects to the internet . It is the properties on this where the changes can be made

john bunyan 15:24 02 Feb 2019

Also this link is worth a read.

change adapter settings

john bunyan 17:05 02 Feb 2019

No, you put them in manually and save

john bunyan 17:25 02 Feb 2019

MJS W

Glad it worked ! The whole thing seems under reported , and MS seem slow to sort it. Thanks for feedback , some don’t bother !!

alanrwood 10:42 03 Feb 2019

Also more info

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans