System Z( drive)? has just appeared

Carafaraday 16:58 30 Apr 2017

What is this file/drive and should I get rid of it? If so, how?! I have been using Windows 10 for sometime - a new laptop with Windows 10 installed and this has just appeared out of the blue. It is 256mb, of which 197 are in use. Any help most welcome.

Carafaraday 20:11 30 Apr 2017

It would appear that this is a problem confined to HP laptops with Windows 10.....

martd7 15:01 02 May 2017

Its not only to do with HP products,if you google the subject there's a lot of different opinions to what the "z" drive is

alanrwood 15:16 02 May 2017

You haven't by any chance installed a printer with a memory card reader and there is a card in the slot.

Carafaraday 15:33 02 May 2017

Thank you for your replies. No I haven't installed anything new at all. Only thing that could possibly be the cause as far as I am aware is either a HP update or a Windows 10 update. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had something similar.

Ventad 19:00 02 May 2017

Looks like it is the restore drive to go back to original OS 1">[click here

Ventad 19:08 02 May 2017

Try again On HP support sight says it is the restore drive to go back to original OS and do not delete

Ventad 19:30 02 May 2017

The dates are for last year on the above, the tech support forum say they have it on all their w10 machines and one says it is the restore and another says it could be the cache coming up as a drive and is no problem, but looks like they don't really know, sorry.

I tried to put in hyperlink but it won't let me do it

Carafaraday 19:51 02 May 2017

Very grateful to you all for your replies. I saw one or two of the links that you mention and as you say they all appear to be from 2016 rather than April/May 2017. I would really like to know what it is - there is no way I will delete it until I do! Just hoping that someone on the forum will have experienced it too and can help me.

wee eddie 20:33 02 May 2017

Firstly: I would strongly advise against Deleting it

Secondly: Why would you want to?

Carafaraday 21:12 02 May 2017

Just want to know why it has suddenly appeared, wee eddie - as I said, I'm not intending to delete it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?