System restore in windows 10

john bunyan 19:18 16 Sep 2015
Answered

Luckily I discovered that on updating to w 10 that one has to re - enable system restore. I did try it, but got an endless loop. Has anyone successfully used system restore in W10? Also I have usb recovery stick and a USB Iso. in a doomday scenario , how does one use these? Being cautious I also have a Macrium image and a recovery CD, and again do I just insert the CD- do I need to "tell" the BIOS the boot order? A bit worried on a young relative's pc I am setting up,as she sometimes leaves a film DVD in the DVD slot and I would not like a mishap!

tullie 19:37 16 Sep 2015

I have had a look at system restore,there was no need to enable it.

robin_x 22:28 16 Sep 2015
Answer

There is no reason not to enable. It works as well as System Restore always has. It shouldn't give reboot loops. Delete old restore points and creat ne.

(Win+R systemconfigurationprotection )

Or, Create a new shortcut and type in systemconfigurationprotection

Call it, Restore Points, say.

=-=-=-=

Macrium Reflect Free v6 doesn't usually need a Recovery CD/DVD/Flash

Click Other Tasks and Add Recovery Boot menu option (PE5).

Images should be made regularly.

=-=-=-=

W10 Recovery USB has repair tools and advanced boot menu allowing W10 Reset for that particular machine.

W10 Install Iso allows the same, for any machine, but crucially can perform a Repair Install (In-place Upgrade) by running setup.exe on it, not booting it.

Boot it for Clean Install.

=-=-=-=

Use Macrium for most Doomsday scenarios. The others are belt and braces.

robin_x 22:32 16 Sep 2015

Sorry, 1st section should read:

There is no reason not to enable. It works as well as System Restore always has. It shouldn't give reboot loops. Delete old restore points and create new.

(Win+R systempropertiesprotection )

Or, Create a new shortcut and type in systempropertiesprotection

Call it, Restore Points, say.

john bunyan 18:13 17 Sep 2015

robin_x

Thank you. For system restore I just set it up as in W7, chose the C:/ drive (I use freefilesynch for backing up the other data partition.), then allocated 10% to system restore. Then I used the normal "Crete restore point" command.

I use CCleaner to delete old restore points and to edit start up as I find it more convenient. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Macrium, on first use, suggested I make a recovery CD.

bumpkin 19:06 17 Sep 2015

Macrium, on first use, suggested I make a recovery CD.

I think it always suggests that but if you already have an up to date one then no need. You will need to set BIOS to boot from CD unless it is first in the boot order anyway.

john bunyan 18:35 18 Sep 2015

bumpkin

Thanks. Only slight worry is if grand daughter leaves a film DVD in the DVD drive, would it muck up the boot. Luckily her new PC has a USB DVD drive so that is less a worry!

I will try to keep her Macrium images up to date, as I do on my own pC's.

rdave13 19:41 18 Sep 2015

Usually, today, DVD drive is first in boot order anyway if the laptop has an optical drive. If the CD/DVD left in the drive is not bootable (films etc.)then Windows will ignore it. If no optical drive on the laptop then USB will be first and again Windows will ignore a non bootable device.

john bunyan 20:32 18 Sep 2015

rdave13

Thanks, Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD