Suggestions on my backup - SSD partition or not?

john bunyan 12:29 06 Oct 2018
Answered

In the past I have either had 2 drives (in Desktop a 250 Gig SSD and a 1Tb SATA), or with SATA single drives , have partitioned them with about 2 – 25o gig as C drive and the balance as D.

I have kept OS and programmes on the C Drive and moved User data to the D drive(s) , then used Macrium Reflect to make images of the C Drive and Freefilesynch to make mirror copies of the D Drive data. With a new laptop, that has a 500gig SSD, and similarly when setting up a granddaughter’s similar PC, I was advised by a local expert not to partition a SSD .

I have made Macrium images of the whole C drive that now has the User data on it. In trying to run Freefilesynch for the User folder there are all sorts of exceptions thrown up, eg stuff from the AppData. I do not want to use OneDrive. I have installed a micro SSD of 64 and 128 gig respectively as a D Drive and set back up in Windows /System/ backup, but am not exactly sure how that works. I don’t want to use cloud . I would be grateful for suggestions bearing in mind my preference for Macrium, Freefilesynch and no cloud. Should I reconsider partitioning? Ideally not, but suggestions are welcome.

NB The reason for not just using Macrium is it takes longer than Freefilesynch and is more difficult to extract the data alone from it. I use USB HD's for the backups.

Aitchbee 21:11 20 Oct 2018

btw I can view your links no bother at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 20 Oct 2018

Assuming Disk 0 is your 500G SSD and disk 1 is your 128G SD card.

Disk 0 looks very messy with the 3 unallocated small partitions spread across the drive.

My 128G SSD has 3 partitions System Reserved 350MB (hidden -boot files for win 10), C: and another hidden 450MB which contains the winRE tools.

right click the partiions and select explore to see what is in each.

john bunyan 21:29 20 Oct 2018

Thanks both. I will report back tomorrow. The small unnamed sectors were there when the PC came from Dell . I think the GPT type is because I have a UEFI not Bios start? Should I convert the micro to that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 20 Oct 2018

Don't do anything until you have explored the partitions.

john bunyan 22:35 20 Oct 2018

Ok thanks

john bunyan 08:18 21 Oct 2018

rdave13

I do use Macrium to make images of the main drive, to a USB 1Tb drive. Indeed I make a second image sometimes to another HD kept in another location. The micro SD, at the moment, is the backup I use with the W10 Settings backup for files. Are you saying forget partitioning, and use Macrium to use imaging as backups, as I do now? I find it difficult with Macrium, to look at data files such as Photos. When my original pc had a motherboard failure I tried to use a Macrium image backup to retrieve data but could not find how to get it to work on another PC. I am nervous not to muck things up! Will test Macrium speed and try to see how to extract data files if I wanted to copy them to another PC

john bunyan 08:20 21 Oct 2018

PS I always use full backups in Macrium, after scans with MBAM and Defender

john bunyan 09:38 21 Oct 2018

Thanks again. Will look at it later as partitioning is a bit dubious for me on laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 21 Oct 2018

Macrium - I just double click to mount the image then I can drag any files or folders from it and place where I want.

If looking a an image using a different PC or account then the files will need to have their permissions reset or take ownership before you can use them in the new account / pc.

john bunyan 12:53 21 Oct 2018

Thanks both. Using iPhone at the mo in the garden, but will study your very helpful replies later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans