Suggestions on my backup - SSD partition or not?

john bunyan 12:29 06 Oct 2018
Answered

In the past I have either had 2 drives (in Desktop a 250 Gig SSD and a 1Tb SATA), or with SATA single drives , have partitioned them with about 2 – 25o gig as C drive and the balance as D.

I have kept OS and programmes on the C Drive and moved User data to the D drive(s) , then used Macrium Reflect to make images of the C Drive and Freefilesynch to make mirror copies of the D Drive data. With a new laptop, that has a 500gig SSD, and similarly when setting up a granddaughter’s similar PC, I was advised by a local expert not to partition a SSD .

I have made Macrium images of the whole C drive that now has the User data on it. In trying to run Freefilesynch for the User folder there are all sorts of exceptions thrown up, eg stuff from the AppData. I do not want to use OneDrive. I have installed a micro SSD of 64 and 128 gig respectively as a D Drive and set back up in Windows /System/ backup, but am not exactly sure how that works. I don’t want to use cloud . I would be grateful for suggestions bearing in mind my preference for Macrium, Freefilesynch and no cloud. Should I reconsider partitioning? Ideally not, but suggestions are welcome.

NB The reason for not just using Macrium is it takes longer than Freefilesynch and is more difficult to extract the data alone from it. I use USB HD's for the backups.

john bunyan 20:26 20 Oct 2018

Trying to link screenshot

Postimage

john bunyan 20:41 20 Oct 2018

Cant get postimage to work

john bunyan 20:59 20 Oct 2018

I give up trying to post an image via postimage. Just shows a tiny black box with an x in it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 20 Oct 2018

Aitchbee 21:09 20 Oct 2018

jb, personally I would physically remove your microSD backup [117.02GB, Disk1] before shrinking C. Once you have sorted out C the way you described then when you reinsert your microSD backup it might automatically be renamed to E.

Wait for other to comment before attempting this manoevre as I have never attempted it myself ;o]

Aitchbee 21:11 20 Oct 2018

btw I can view your links no bother at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 20 Oct 2018

Assuming Disk 0 is your 500G SSD and disk 1 is your 128G SD card.

Disk 0 looks very messy with the 3 unallocated small partitions spread across the drive.

My 128G SSD has 3 partitions System Reserved 350MB (hidden -boot files for win 10), C: and another hidden 450MB which contains the winRE tools.

right click the partiions and select explore to see what is in each.

john bunyan 21:29 20 Oct 2018

Thanks both. I will report back tomorrow. The small unnamed sectors were there when the PC came from Dell . I think the GPT type is because I have a UEFI not Bios start? Should I convert the micro to that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 20 Oct 2018

Don't do anything until you have explored the partitions.

john bunyan 22:35 20 Oct 2018

Ok thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Rob Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spacey Jon Hopkins music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique