Suggestions on my backup - SSD partition or not?

john bunyan 12:29 06 Oct 2018
Answered

In the past I have either had 2 drives (in Desktop a 250 Gig SSD and a 1Tb SATA), or with SATA single drives , have partitioned them with about 2 – 25o gig as C drive and the balance as D.

I have kept OS and programmes on the C Drive and moved User data to the D drive(s) , then used Macrium Reflect to make images of the C Drive and Freefilesynch to make mirror copies of the D Drive data. With a new laptop, that has a 500gig SSD, and similarly when setting up a granddaughter’s similar PC, I was advised by a local expert not to partition a SSD .

I have made Macrium images of the whole C drive that now has the User data on it. In trying to run Freefilesynch for the User folder there are all sorts of exceptions thrown up, eg stuff from the AppData. I do not want to use OneDrive. I have installed a micro SSD of 64 and 128 gig respectively as a D Drive and set back up in Windows /System/ backup, but am not exactly sure how that works. I don’t want to use cloud . I would be grateful for suggestions bearing in mind my preference for Macrium, Freefilesynch and no cloud. Should I reconsider partitioning? Ideally not, but suggestions are welcome.

NB The reason for not just using Macrium is it takes longer than Freefilesynch and is more difficult to extract the data alone from it. I use USB HD's for the backups.

john bunyan 18:24 06 Oct 2018

rdave13

Thanks; wilco if and when I go ahead. I have, and keep a couple of verified images of the drive ; I do a new one every week or two.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 06 Oct 2018
Answer

JB I was really just linking for the information

Personally I use Easus partition Manage 10 if I need to do this sort of thing.

john bunyan 18:50 06 Oct 2018

*FB *

Ok but could you comment on the methodology- do I shrink the C then create the D data to the right of it without affecting the unnamed recovery partitions and Dell stuff? I would also use Easus

If it goes t**s up can I assume the Macrium will restore the status quo?

john bunyan 19:28 06 Oct 2018

rdave13

Thanks again. I will study it and have a go when I have time; my wife has an account on the new laptop so after partitioning I will take time to sort out the move of each of our user data; the main ones are pictures, documents and music , but also spreadsheets. I think I will leave AppData on the C drive as it is a bit complicated to move it.

john bunyan 20:23 20 Oct 2018

Am about to try to create a Data partition using Easus Partition master.I attach a screenshot and would be grateful for comments on my plan: 1. Shrink C to ,say, 180 Gig. 2. Rename microSD backup to E. 3. Create new D partition of balance of old C. I do not understand the "Status" and "Type" to use for the new data D partition. At the moment C is Status "Boot". All others are None. The C and other unnamed partitions are Type : GPT, but the micro SD has a logical and larger Primary one. The new D partition will be for data, so is it Primary or GPT and how do I set that?

john bunyan 20:26 20 Oct 2018

Trying to link screenshot

Postimage

john bunyan 20:41 20 Oct 2018

Cant get postimage to work

john bunyan 20:59 20 Oct 2018

I give up trying to post an image via postimage. Just shows a tiny black box with an x in it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 20 Oct 2018

Aitchbee 21:09 20 Oct 2018

jb, personally I would physically remove your microSD backup [117.02GB, Disk1] before shrinking C. Once you have sorted out C the way you described then when you reinsert your microSD backup it might automatically be renamed to E.

Wait for other to comment before attempting this manoevre as I have never attempted it myself ;o]

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

How Samsung has redesigned its interface to be more like Apple and less like Android

iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus : prise en main