Strange name in my network.

registered 18:37 25 Aug 2019
Answered

Just checked devices that are connected to my home network and was surprised to see something called mustang.On right clicking it i get, manufacturer mustang,model, kfmuwi,model No kfmuwi,I can see a mac address cc:9e:a2:5b:e7:5b When checking this on google it comes back as Amazon vendors list.Don`t know what this is.I have purchased from Amazon in the past.I have changed my ISP password as a precaution.Can anyone tell me if i should be concerned with this please? When i changed my password and then checked my network again it had disappeared.Checking again today it was back.I have two laptops and a desktop on my network.

Secret-Squirrel 09:53 26 Aug 2019

registered, I doubt that there's anything sinister going on.

Are you sure that you don't have any Amazon devices at home such as a Fire tablet or even their TV stick?

I have changed my ISP password as a precaution.

That won't stop unauthorised devices from connecting to your router. If you're still worried then login to your home router and change the wireless password. Note that afterwards you'll need to reconnect with that new password on all your wireless devices.

registered 11:55 26 Aug 2019

Thanks for the reply secret squirrel.I don`t have any Amazon devices at home.But will look at seeing if i can change my wireless password Not to sure how to do that.

Secret-Squirrel 12:04 26 Aug 2019

I don`t have any Amazon devices at home.

Ah, OK then.

..........change my wireless password Not to sure how to do that.

If you let me know your router's make and model then I'll help you with that.

registered 17:23 27 Aug 2019

My router is one supplied by Plusnet.Its a sagecom Model 2704n.

registered 17:34 27 Aug 2019

Secret Squirrel i have downloaded a prog Wireless Network Watcher.I have checked this at different times and there is no mention of mustang or any other unknown names.

Secret-Squirrel 18:34 27 Aug 2019

..................Wireless Network Watcher.I have checked this at different times and there is no mention of mustang or any other unknown names.

That's very reassuring but bear in mind that WNW can take several minutes to display every device on your network so don't rely on what it lists immediately after you launch it.

........supplied by Plusnet.Its a sagecom Model 2704n.

Default PlusNet wireless passwords are very strong so there's little chance of yours being hacked or compromised. If you do decide to change it then this nice chap from PlusNet will show you how.

registered 19:33 27 Aug 2019

secret-squirrel thank you for the link and the time you have taken to help me with this query.I will continue to check with Wireless Network Watcher and see how things go.Again many thanks for your help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans