Soundcard problems with Windows 7

Nick Sellick 14:04 27 Feb 2010

Hi,
I have recently installed Windows 7 and it refuses to acknowledge my soundcard. I have a creative soundblaster X/FI Fatality model no 680460. I have tried downloading drivers, but still get a little icon saying no Audio output device installed. Any suggestions before I try and find another sound card.
thanks
Nick

john bunyan 15:22 27 Feb 2010

I am not sure if it was coincidence but my Creative XFi sound card failed when I switched from XP to W7. Although device manager said it was ok, no sound came out. The speakers also failed, and I wondered if some sort of "negative feedback" had blown part of the soundcard circuit. Replaced the sound card with Creative X Fi Audio and new speakers, W7 drivers downloaded and all is well.

GaT7 15:24 27 Feb 2010

Is it this one click here?

Where did you download the drivers from? Try these at Creative click here.

Does Win Update offer Creative/sound drivers?

Also see Creative's 'Troubleshooting Sound Issues on Windows 7' click here.

Btw, I think you'll find the part number is SB0460. G

Nick Sellick 18:55 27 Feb 2010

Tried all the above to no avail. can anyone recommend a cheap,W7 compatible soundcard? Can't seem to get the on board sound working either!
thanks
Nick

GaT7 19:04 27 Feb 2010

Does Device Manager have any exclamation marks at all - anything related to sound?

What's your motherboard make & model number? Perhaps the latest drivers from Realtek will work - that's if onboard sound is Realtek-based.

Something is wrong somewhere, & a new sound card may not the answer. I mean don't buy one, but first borrow one to test with if you can.

I've got both onboard & Creative X-Fi cards working in Win7 (32 & 64-bit) with no problems.

If all fails, then consider the cards I suggested in this thread click here. G

Nick Sellick 19:30 27 Feb 2010

Thanks Crossbow 7. I have managed to get the onboard sound working. Various updates and fiddling.
Thanks again.
No good with X-fi though, still I have sound, that'll do for now.
Cheers
Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)