Sony VAIO Black Screen of Death..

Thaboss6 18:50 08 Sep 2019

Hi everyone,

I have had a Sony VAIO laptop (SVE17E11M) for a few years now. It has had some parts (nothing recently) changed but mostly works fine. I have had a few problems with the laptop getting stuck in a bootloop a year ago but that was resolved by fixing the heatsink on the motherboard. Yesterday I returned from a three week holiday and today I was able to use my laptop normally for a few hours until the battery was drained and I put it on the charger. Then the problems began.

Anyway, my problem is this:

When I try to turn on my laptop, I get only a black screen. The fan starts, HDD light is on (continuously), NUM lock light goes on, it sounds as if it is running steadily. Nothing happens for around 1-2 minutes, then the laptop turns itself off again.

This has been great timing by the infamous Mr. Murphy, because I am starting a very tough university semester tomorrow where I absolutely need a laptop.

Things I tried:

• Removing and cleaning both HDD contacts and RAM contacts
  • charging the laptop continuously for a few hours
  • trying to start the laptop without accu (on AC)
  • draining the laptop of any residual power by pressing the on button with no battery or power connected for a minute
  • removing and placing back of the CMOS battery
  • using a separate LCD screen (although I cannot force it to display there so I cannot be 100% sure that this would work if the laptop screen were the problem)

Does anyone have an idea how I could fix my laptop? It just suddenly stopped and I have no clues left what it could be. Any help would be greatly, greatly, enormously appreciated.

howard64 16:26 09 Sep 2019

with my vaio there is a button which brings up the reset screen which would obviously wipe out anything on the hard drive. Have you tried removing the battery? if that has failed it could be causing your problems.

Thaboss6 17:54 09 Sep 2019

Yes I have tried that. It does not changed anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 09 Sep 2019

Remove the HDD and try booting will it come up with an error message?

try booting from a USB?

Thaboss6 19:24 09 Sep 2019

No error messages without HDD, booting from USB does not really do anything because I can not get to the option to select a boot.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)