Skypebridge.exe - Friend or Foe

AroundAgain 10:36 11 Aug 2019

I've been reading rather conflicting things regarding Skypebridge.exe (532kb), one being that it's malicious threat as opposed to it being part of Skype.

I also have skypeapp.exe 20.kb and skypebackgroundhost.exe 178kb. All these 3 files are actually in Windows.old file, though, so maybe not an issue?

I've uninstalled Skype but still have Skypebridge.exe so not sure what steps to take next.

Please would someone advise. As usual, I'll be very grateful. Thanks very much

grumpy old man 16:55 11 Aug 2019

read the following article , have you run the reg cleaner in ccleaner to see if it will recognise it as a redundant entry.

click here run Malwarebytes and if it finds anything run it again till it finds nothing because some infections are in multiple segments and the program does not always remove all segments on first pass.

also

AroundAgain 20:10 11 Aug 2019

Hi Grumpy Old Man

I've had a look at the article you've linked but can't find any reference to Skypebridge.exe, only Skype, so I'm not sure how that would help me.

I've scanned with Malwarebytes already, as mentioned in original post, and did get a lot of PUPs. I'm now scanning again, and will do until it's clear.

I'm not too familiar with using CCleaner, I have to admit. I'll download it and give it a try, though, if I can sort this without.

Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 12:04 12 Aug 2019

I've uninstalled Skype.............

Was that the Skype Desktop program, the Windows 10 app, or both?

AroundAgain 13:57 12 Aug 2019

Hi SS

Sorry, but I don't know which 'version', I'm afraid

I've just updated to 1903, if that's any help and Skype isn't installed now.

Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 16:36 12 Aug 2019

Sorry, but I don't know which 'version', I'm afraid

The Skype app is part of Windows 10, and the Desktop version is available for download from the Skype website. A lot of users don't get on with the app so they download and install the familiar program they were used to.

Skypebridge.exe is part of the Windows app, so if it was the Desktop version you uninstalled then that would explain why that file is still present.

As far as I know, skypebridge.exe should live in the Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp folder. Is that where yours is?

I doubt very much indeed that you're infected with anything though.

AroundAgain 21:20 12 Aug 2019

Hi again SS

Thanks. The Skypebridge.exe is in C:\Windows.old\windows..., along with some other Skypebridge files, ie Config and File Folder

It's not actually used so can stay uninstalled for now. Good to know skypebridge files are OK and not malware

Many thanks for the confirmation

Secret-Squirrel 08:35 13 Aug 2019

Hi Julie

The Windows.old folder is created automatically during every major Windows upgrade and that gives the user the option to revert back to the previous version if things don't work out as expected. That folder should delete itself eventually to free up lots of disk space.

I've been reading rather conflicting things regarding Skypebridge.exe (532kb), one being that it's malicious threat...............

There's a lot of rubbish posted on the Internet. I still don't think you're infected with anything.

AroundAgain 11:06 13 Aug 2019

I've been reading rather conflicting things regarding Skypebridge.exe (532kb), one being that it's malicious threat...............

There's a lot of rubbish posted on the Internet. I still don't think you're infected with anything.

Thanks SS, yes, I realised that, hence I looked for clarification on here ;) Many thanks for your reassurance :)

Forum Editor 18:26 13 Aug 2019

"There's a lot of rubbish posted on the Internet. I still don't think you're infected with anything."

That's sound advice, and I agree with it. If you want to see an example of the kind of nonsense that sparks or perpetuates rumours take a look at this.

AroundAgain 20:00 13 Aug 2019

Thanks FE

Yes, that's typical of what I found. I'm certainly aware of plenty of unreliable stuff on the internet and try to be discerning. It can be very difficult although poor English language/translation defintely raises my suspicions, as in your link.

Not knowing, nor having heard, of Skypebridge.exe I decided to check from a more reliable source, ie TechAdvisor ;)

Thanks for your input :)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Witcher 3 (Switch) Preview

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?