Skype and Microsoft problems, a pain

rickf 15:56 24 Jan 2019

I had a perfectly working Skype a/c with all my contacts set up. Then recently when starting Skype, MS appeared asking me to create an a/c. Thinking that I need to start anew as Ms has bought Skype Created an ac/ with MS. Now all my contacts have disappeared. How do I recover my old a/c and cancel the MS one? I know my Skype id but not my sign in name. Help!

Secret-Squirrel 17:33 24 Jan 2019

Thinking that I need to start anew ............

You don't need to open a new Microsoft account as your old Skype login details will work fine so there's no need to change anything.

I know my Skype id but not my sign in name.

They sound like the same thing to me.

If Skype is currently logged into your new MS account then sign out by using the right-click option on the Skype icon in the Notification Area (bottom-right, near the clock). Quit Skype from the same menu options, restart Skype then enter your original Skype account details. If you've forgotten the password then there'll be an option to reset it.

Note that some of the tips I've given above refer to the Skype Desktop version and not the Windows app.

rickf 21:34 24 Jan 2019

Sorted. The new a/c eventually found my old contacts. Just took a while.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Illustrator Owen Davey on how he's created a successful series of animal-themed children's picture…

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, 16in MacBook Pro news and rumours

Xiaomi Mi 9 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs