Should I wait to upgrade to Windows 10

RWBCAM 07:45 12 Sep 2015

My PC is offering me a free upgrade to Windows 10. I'm currently using Windows 7.

Am I right in thinking that I could wait until July 2016 and it will still be offered free?

Or should I upgrade now? I see from the posts on this forum that some people have Windows 10 problems with certain features not working. In the past, the conventional wisdom was to wait until Microsoft had sent out the first major update (SP1) to fix all the main common bugs since launch.

Thanks for any advive. I've downloaded the upgrade but not installed it yet.

wee eddie 09:50 12 Sep 2015

I would wait another couple of months.

Also I would ditch your current download and re-do it, just before you run the update. On the basic assumption that some of the glitches will have been sorted by then

Govan1x 09:50 12 Sep 2015

If you are happy with W7 stay where you are.

If you have tried W8 or W10 and you get on all right with it you are as well downloading it now. But like you said you can wait till next year before you do it.

I must have boobed somewhere you have downloaded it does that mean you are going to do a clean install you would loose any programs you have on your computer just now doing it that way,

Did not know that you could still upgrade your computer that way and save the programs that you have or I would have done the same. Looks like I boobed.

wescliff 15:42 13 Sep 2015

I've done five now and only had problems with one. And if I had bothered to check the makers website first I would have seen that they did not recommend this particular laptop was upgraded due to lack of driver support. Went back to Win 8.1. So I would do that. Check the manufacturers web site and see if there is any info regarding your model particularly as its Windows 7 which will make it a bit older than any I have upgraded.

wescliff 15:45 13 Sep 2015

And I sent the manufacturer (Lenovo)a very nasty email. This laptop was only 15 months old and came with an i3 processor and 8Gb memory with 1Tb hard drive. Not exactly low spec.

spuds 16:05 13 Sep 2015

"And I sent the manufacturer (Lenovo)a very nasty email. This laptop was only 15 months old and came with an i3 processor and 8Gb memory with 1Tb hard drive. Not exactly low spec."

That's interesting, because I haven't all that long purchased a Lenovo laptop, which as reminding me to upgrade to W10. Haven't done so yet, but time and willingness permitting, might try it as an experiment, for failure or success.

spuds 16:11 13 Sep 2015

Forgot to mention to the originator of the post. It would appear that some have jumped straight in, and downloaded, with additional adjustments when available.

Personally, my view was to wait and see what the general feelings are, because its all still in the early stages, and every Microsoft operating system that I know, always required 'tweaking' at some stage.

But having said that, my previous post might now suggest otherwise!.

wescliff 16:25 13 Sep 2015

Lots of angry Lenovo users on their forums spuds. It's a G500 and still listed as unsupported. I had issues with the Dolby High definition sound and it took an age to boot up. There is a list of Win 10 supported models on their web site. Just backed up, reformatted and started again. Having said all that my Lenovo B50 all in one desktop upgraded like a dream, and the Dolby worked.

spuds 16:49 13 Sep 2015

wescliff.

Just checked, and its the Lenovo G700 that I have, so it looks like I might need to do further investigations. Thanks for the prompt, I would not have known otherwise, without the interesting information you have provided.

Bailifei 04:05 14 Sep 2015

If you haven't upgraded yet and not in a hurry to use Win 10, you'd better wait till the first major update. but haven't heard when the sp1 would come out. that is a problem.

Graphicool1 11:07 17 Sep 2015

RWBCAM

You might want to check the W10 EULA EXPLAINED HERE before you do anything rash like installing it! Then ask yourself if it's really worth it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)