Should Flash Player be used? Alternatives?

Laurence WM 11:20 01 Feb 2016

In December Fruitbat wrote on my thread:

'Flash player is a real security problem and should be uninstalled to prevent malware and other nasties being installed or run on your machine through its gaping security holes.'

I have done this. Consequently of course a lot of visuals are unavailable. Is there an alternative to Flash Player? Do other readers agree with Fruitbat that it is best to be without Flash?

Thanks, Laurence

Govan1x 11:53 01 Feb 2016

All depends what you are going to use in it's place.

If you have W10 it gets downloaded automatically from Windows Updates and I don't believe there is a way to stop it.

Laurence WM 12:16 01 Feb 2016

Thanks Govan1x,

I have W10. I have uninstalled Flash Player and now many visuals are replaced by a message saying I need to install Flash Player.

'All depends what you are going to use in it's place.'

What do you recommend in its place?

Cheers, Laurence

robin_x 12:34 01 Feb 2016

I've never found a practical way to do without Flash.

I read the articles from time to time, but always end up re-installing it.

=-=-=-=

People expect computers to 'just work', but they never will. Like cars, some maintenance is always necessary (checking fluids and tyres etc).

Malwarebytes, which you have, is one of the best and preferred scanners. Also have a go with ADWCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware sometimes.

Try Unchecky and see mywot.com

=-=-=-=

Create regular Restore Points

Create regular System Image Backups to external drive.

Even if your system is trashed, by malware or otherwise, it is then easily fixable.

Govan1x 18:02 01 Feb 2016

'All depends what you are going to use in it's place.'

I was hoping you could tell me that.

I have tried running without it. Think that lasted about an hour and had to put it back on or throw the computer out of the window.

Now there is a thing. A program we can't do without and they arr not charging us for it. methinks somebody has boobed.

Anyhow if you find anything let us know what.

It has been said that if you have decent security programs they should you should not need to worry about it. i have to agree with that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 01 Feb 2016
  wee eddie 21:16 01 Feb 2016

Fruit Bat: That's all very well and good but, as the poster has asked, what is the alternative?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:29 01 Feb 2016

see second link

and eventually most sites will move over to HTML5

Secret-Squirrel 09:22 02 Feb 2016

Laurence, there is no alternative for Flash. If you don't have it, then as you've noticed, you're going to miss out on a lot of useful things on the web.

The Flash Player security problems only really apply to users who are running outdated versions. If you're running Windows 8/10 and are using Internet Explorer or Edge then Flash updates are installed automatically so you don't need to do anything to keep safe. Likewise, Google Chrome uses its own version of Flash and that too is updated automatically. For other browsers (such as Firefox) you should update Flash as soon as you receive a prompt.

Reinstall Flash and stop worrying.

Laurence WM 10:05 02 Feb 2016

Thanks very much for all of this useful advice, everyone.

Fruit Bat, your second link goes to a '404 Error page Not Found' message.

Cheers, Laurence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)