Shockwave Crashing Browsers and Other Programmes

t1v37r 10:08 20 Oct 2015

Hi folks. Firstly, thank you for being here to (hopefully) fix problems - I really appreciate it!

I've never had this problem before: I keep getting the generic "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash" drop down pop-up from the address bar. This in turn of course crashes any page I try to run which uses Shockwave and bizarrely compared to any other similar issue I've Googled, also affects other programmes. For example, PowerDVD / VLC Player both freeze when I try to use them.

I've tried using the online guides as to how to fix the Shockwave Flash issue by going to the chrome://plugins page, and my plugin settings are exactly the same as my housemates. To confirm, they list:

Adobe Flash Player - Version 19.0.0.207 Shockwave Flash 19.0 r0 Name: Shockwave Flash Description: Shockwave Flash 19.0 r0 Version: 19.0.0.226 Location: C:\Users\Timothy\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Pepper Flash\19.0.0.226\pepflashplayers.dll Type: PPAPI (out-of-process) Disable MIME types: application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave FLash .swf appliaction/futuresplash Shockwave Flash .spl

Disable Always allowed to run

The other three plugins I have listed on that page are: Native Client, Widevine Content Decryption Module, Chrome PDF Viewer.

I've tried using the new Edge browser and Shockwave crashes on there too.

I've run AVG deep scan, Malwarebytes and HitMan Pro to check if there are any viruses, all three came back with results, but I quarantined / deleted them and rebooted, then rescanned again and all three came back with no results. Rebooted again, still crashed Shockwave. I've also checked that there wasn't any dodgy programs on my PC and I recognise everything on the Add / Remove Programs list.

To confirm my system settings (sorry if some of these are irrelevant!): Bought laptop with Windows 8 then upgraded to Windows 10 Home earlier in the year Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40GHz 8.00GB (7.98 GB usable) RAM 64-bit Operating System Lenovo G50 AMD Radeon Graphics

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you may be able to offer! Best, Tim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)