Sfc/scannow and check disk issues

wescliff 11:19 05 Dec 2018

sfc /scannow stops at 28% with a message that it cannot perform the requested operation. Ran CHKDSK C:/r and that froze at 28% as well . Laptop ok except for the occasional abrupt restart of explorer. Basically have I got a problem, laptop only three months old Grateful for any advice

wescliff 11:26 05 Dec 2018

To add, checking the drive for errors from the Properties\Tools completes and shows no errors.

wee eddie 11:28 05 Dec 2018

Take it back to the place you bought it from. These errors can be one of the signs that the Hard Drive is Failing. They should replace it, as far as I remember, in the UK, if such a fault occurs in under 6 months, they have one chance to repair or an immediate swap out. Do not try to deal with the manufacturers, unless you bought it from them.

Do your best to back up any files you have saved on it before you take it back.

wescliff 11:59 05 Dec 2018

I think it's me, using PowerShell and forgot to choose the Admin version. Scannow is at 77% this time. Will go in corner and hide. Sorry.

Secret-Squirrel 13:39 05 Dec 2018

Ran CHKDSK C:/r and that froze at 28%............

That's quite a common occurrence and it's rarely serious. Just leave it (overnight if you can) and it should eventually start to progress then complete successfully.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch