Setting up a Small Office Network

JLPEASY 17:54 23 Jul 2018

Hi there,

I'm helping a friend who runs a small business to setup the network in their office. I'm not experienced in computer networking and I'm looking for some advice in regards to this.

They currently have a couple of HP Pavilion All-In-One desktops running Windows 10. They also have a printer and a scanner which they connect to via bluetooth.

We're looking at setting up a secure network with some shared storage space (2 TB would do). Remote access to the storage would also be useful. Currently this is how I imagine it should look:

Internet | Wireless Router | 4/8 port Ethernet Switch ------ NAS Storage | HP Desktops

It would be great to know if you think I'm heading in the right direction with this? The setup should be scalable, as the office could expand in the near future. Any suggestions as to particular bits of kit to buy, as well as firewall/security solutions, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

J

wee eddie 20:43 23 Jul 2018

Less said, soonest mended.

This is a job for someone who knows exactly what they are doing. Bow out as quickly as you can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale