Setting up a Small Office Network

JLPEASY 17:54 23 Jul 2018

Hi there,

I'm helping a friend who runs a small business to setup the network in their office. I'm not experienced in computer networking and I'm looking for some advice in regards to this.

They currently have a couple of HP Pavilion All-In-One desktops running Windows 10. They also have a printer and a scanner which they connect to via bluetooth.

We're looking at setting up a secure network with some shared storage space (2 TB would do). Remote access to the storage would also be useful. Currently this is how I imagine it should look:

Internet | Wireless Router | 4/8 port Ethernet Switch ------ NAS Storage | HP Desktops

It would be great to know if you think I'm heading in the right direction with this? The setup should be scalable, as the office could expand in the near future. Any suggestions as to particular bits of kit to buy, as well as firewall/security solutions, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

J

wee eddie 20:43 23 Jul 2018

Less said, soonest mended.

This is a job for someone who knows exactly what they are doing. Bow out as quickly as you can.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs