setting up gmail account within Windows Live Mail

Carafaraday 11:58 28 Jan 2017
Answered

When attempting to get WLM to pick up my gmail should I change settings in gmail to POP or IMAP? Any other help in setting this up would be most appreciated.

Secret-Squirrel 12:48 28 Jan 2017

...........should I change settings in gmail to POP or IMAP?

Google recommend IMAP so that's the one to enable in your Gmail settings. IMAP also enables your messages to be synchronised across all devices so it will prove handy if you've also got a tablet or smartphone.

Any other help in setting this up would be most appreciated.

The Windows Live Mail new email-account setup will probably automatically set itself up as IMAP. However, you may find that you get an error message that mentions your password when trying to access your mail. If you do then you'll have to enable Gmail's "less secure apps" option - you'll find it here.

Carafaraday 13:01 28 Jan 2017
Answer

Thank you. That's very helpful indeed.

Carafaraday 13:35 28 Jan 2017

Just to update - I did indeed have to change the settings in Gmail to use 'less secure apps'. Should I be worried about doing this? I am using Windows 10 with Windows Live Mail and Windows Defender and am generally a pretty cautious opener of emails?

Secret-Squirrel 15:35 28 Jan 2017

Should I be worried about doing this?

No, not really. It's highly unlikely that anything bad will happen.

If you continue to be concerned then turn on Gmail's "Two-step verification", generate an "app password" and use that in WLM instead of your regular Gmail one. You'll find all that info via the link I posted earlier. Finally, you should then be able to disable "less secure apps". I have to mention that I haven't tried this myself but in principle it should work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)