Hot Topics

Security between Win7 and Win10 on dual boot

aix123 23:09 06 Jan 2020

Windows 7 updates are coming to and end, for most people, next week. I have a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 and a trial version of Windows 10, which I may buy a licence for in a few weeks. After Windows 7 no longer gets security updates, even if I have my Internet connection in Win7 turned off when I use it, is it possible that it's vulnerable via Win 10? Win 10 updates will protect Win 10, but surely Win7 will be vulnerable, because from within either OS I can access files on the other OS.

Apologies if this sounds a silly question. I'm not a complete beginner, but know nothing about Windows security.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Govan1x 00:14 07 Jan 2020

You can still get a free upgrade to W10 providing your W7 is genuine.

aix123 11:08 07 Jan 2020

I'm unsure yet whether I wish to use Windows 10, long-term, and have a 90 trial, while I keep Windows 7 on my computer. Really just trying to find out an answer to what I asked, but thanks anyway.

wee eddie 14:18 07 Jan 2020

aix: in the short term you will have a choice, you can use both.

In the long term, you have no choice, unless you are prepared to isolate that particular PC from the Internet.

aix123 16:02 07 Jan 2020

Thanks. But that's my point. On a machine with dual boot Win 7 and Win 10, from within Win 10 the folders and files for Win 7 are accessible. So even if Win 7 is only ever used offline, then the question is: after no security updates are available for Win 7, can't it be attacked via the internet while using Win 10? And if it is, why and how?

wee eddie 16:20 07 Jan 2020

Why bother. If you have Win 10, just ditch Win 7, and be done with it

x13 16:43 07 Jan 2020

can't it be attacked via the internet while using Win 10? And if it is, why and how?

Yes. If Win 10 gets a Ransomware infection for example it will encrypt everything including connected external USB backup drives. Hence the external drives should always be stored disconnected for security reasons. 'Why' is pretty obvious - it's the 'how' I can't answer. You're missing an opportunity to upgrade for free to Windows 10 via Win 7 but that's your preference.

aix123 17:06 07 Jan 2020

Thanks for taking time to reply. That's useful to me, x13. Fair question, wee eddie, but there are reasons why I bother, for example really liking Win 7 and not really liking Win 10 that much at the moment, but giving it a go on a trial version for a while. Ultimately, if I don't like it I'll use Linux.

Before you both replied just now, I came across a post on another site, from a while ago, which is enlightening to me. I'll try to post the link below, if that's allowed here:

click here

x13 17:39 07 Jan 2020

You've answered your own question and whichever OS you decide on - then good luck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 07 Jan 2020

You can make win 10 look and feel like win 7 using various adaptations to change things like the start menu etc.

Classic Shell

wee eddie 20:59 07 Jan 2020

I have been running Windows since, I think, Version 2.1. I have hated most of the new ones. Luckily I managed to miss Vista and kept an IBM running Windows 98se in the office, disconnected from the internet, for years so that I could run special Hardware. Eventually, I came round to the next version before it was retired

I now run W10. There are no stupid boxes on the desktop, just 5 links and 3 shortcuts. I have 7 shortcuts on the Taskbar, to software I use on a day-to-day basis. My background cycles through a special Folder, that I have set up, a new one every day. Today is some kids skating on Helsinki's Waterfront

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Can you see the bottle in this Coke ad?

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs drones pas chers (2020)