SD card help on old windows 7 pc

Debbie Framingham 11:03 24 Mar 2019

Right this is my first post so bare with me.....

I've had to use my father in laws old windows 7 pc as mine packed up a while back and I need to format a couple of as cards so they can be used in my dashcam..... The as card reader that's built into the pc registers with a light that the card has been inserted but no auto run and I can't find it anywhere ..... I'm no tech person at all and a little bit of a novice when it comes to these things lol. Hopefully someone can help me on here as searched everywhere for an answer n just get confused (which ain't hard lol) many thanks for reading

hastelloy 11:49 24 Mar 2019

Ideally, if you want to use them in the dashcam, you should format them with the dashcam.

Have you looked in disc management to find your card reader? Mine comes up as 4 different drive letters as it has 4 card slots.

Debbie Framingham 11:50 24 Mar 2019

I can't do it in the dash cam as it doesn't have a screen.... Mine has 4 slots, how do I access that please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:00 24 Mar 2019

Make and model of dashcam?

Secret-Squirrel 16:02 24 Mar 2019

Debbie, are those cards SD, SDHC, or SDXC? If it's not obvious by looking at their labels then let me know their capacities instead please.

Debbie Framingham 16:15 24 Mar 2019

Can't tell u make n model of dash am as it's not written on it anywhere and the previous owner had it installed.... I've tried SD and sdhc cards in the computer and the light comes on to say there is something in but can't find it anywhere on comp as it doesn't auto run for some reason.... Checked drivers etc n it shows up as SD driver all ok so I'm stumped lol

hastelloy 16:33 24 Mar 2019

"Mine has 4 slots, how do I access that please"

If they aren't shown as 4 separate drives in Windows Explorer, look in disc management and see if there are 4 unlabelled discs.

Secret-Squirrel 18:08 24 Mar 2019

I've tried SD and sdhc cards..............

Thanks for that info. My hunch was that the PC is too old to read modern SDHC and SDXC cards, but it can't be that as it has the same problem reading regular SD cards.

.......and the light comes on to say there is something in.......

You can insert a bit of cardboard into the slot and the light will come on so that's not telling us anything useful.

After insertion the card should appear as a drive in "Computer". If it doesn't then then there's something wrong but you can check in the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Windows "Run" box. If your card appears there then try to format it but make sure you're 100% sure that you're formatting the SD card and not another drive.

As a last resort you can buy USB SD-card readers for less than a tenner, or you could use a friend or neighbour's computer instead.

Debbie Framingham 18:10 24 Mar 2019

I think that's what I'm going to have to do as I've got pictures on there I have to keep so want to transfer them to a usb stick. Pain in the bum all this tech stuff lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 24 Mar 2019

Had similar problems last knight with a SDHC camera card

The PC found the usb adaptor the light comes on with card inserted but nothing shows on windows 10 in explore or disk management (the usb adaptor says on it SDHC support)

Worked OK when plugged into the card reader on an old laptop running win 10 so I can only assume the adaptor is faulty. You might find yours is the same.

Debbie Framingham 19:57 24 Mar 2019

Thankyou, I'm going to take it to a mates tomorrow and have a try n go from there, thankyou everyone for your replies

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)