Saving Outlook / Livemail For Archiving

jimforrest 18:53 01 May 2014
Answered

I will shortly be retiring and it will be time to clear out my computer (running Win7). I have literally hundreds of emails all stored in the originating email programs (Outlook & Livemail) and I need to keep them but not in the programs.

Obviously I know how to save individual mails - but that will take a lifetime! Is it possible to 'bulk save' emails so they remain individual and accessible by some text program or a browser?

Alternatively can I archive them somewhere and still read them in some way?

lotvic 22:22 01 May 2014
Answer

I've just been doing that with my old emails from my XP pc. (XP with Outlook Express and new W7 pc using Thunderbird)

On XP pc I created a folder structure in My Documents (with the same names of the folders in Outlook Express) and then I had two windows open on Desktop, one Windows Explorer and one Outlook Express.

I opened a folder in Outlook Express, and bulk selected all the emails in that folder (Ctrl + A) then dragged and dropped them into the same named subfolder of new Folder named 'BackupCopyEmail' I had already created in My Documents.

Did the same for all the emails in the other folders.

This saves each of the emails as an .eml file extension.

I can now open any individual .eml independently in any email client - without importing them (rightclick, open with - if no default email client)

I have now copied Folder 'BackupCopyEmail' containing all the new created folders with the .eml files in, to my external HDD.

jimforrest 08:22 02 May 2014

Sounds good to me Lotvic - I will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Chromebook 15 (315) review

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?