Reverted from W10 to W7 and cant get any Updates

Govan1x 12:46 21 Aug 2016
Answered

Reverted back to W7 from W10 on grandsons Laptop using the Samsung install disk but cannot get it to install updates. Disc came with SP1 on it and about 4 years old if that makes any difference,

Windows updates just shows the updating and does nothing.

Apart from Downloading IE11 from the Microsoft sight nothing else updates. laptop is sluggish and struggles to cope with little things.

tried one of the Microsoft fix its which repaired 3 things but still will not download updates.

probably something simple any ideas welcome.

john bunyan 19:41 22 Aug 2016

govan1x

Do you also have irreparable errors if you run chksdk? I had a similar problem on a granddaughter's laptop, albeit on W 10 and I suspect there was a non repairable sector on the HD. Tried a repair to the MFT but in the end had to do a clean reinstall on a new HD. Hope you solve it with a less drastic solution!

Govan1x 20:21 22 Aug 2016

Hope so to JB. Will try another chkdsk later on to see if that finds anything. Ran it yesterday when I went out and never found out if there were any problems or not.

I should have some W7 DVD's lying about somewhere but not wanting to go down the repair route as I always make a mess of it. just put eset and malwarebytes on it and don't want to loose those.

robin_x 21:43 22 Aug 2016

Repair Install involves double-clicking setup.exe on the DVD. How can you mess that up? �/p>

Concerning the Update fix suggestions, I just came across these and thought of you.

You may have seen them already

click here

click here

Govan1x 22:36 22 Aug 2016

robin_x

The last time I tried a repair I missed it and ended up doing a full reinstall.

Running a chkdsk just now so will have a good look at your click here's in the morning.

Whether your fix it in the first click here will work or not as I could not get rdave13 fix it to work. it just said Microsoft has stopped using them. Will see tomorrow. Thanks for taking the trouble to help.

pk46 23:24 22 Aug 2016

What Fruit Bat gave you does work I updated 350 update for windows 7 64 bit. But AFTER YOU HAVE INSTALLED W7 YOU MUST UPDATE THE BROWSER TO IE 11 BEFORE YOU START INSTALLING THE FILES FRUIT BAT GAVE YOU, YES YOU HAVE TO PUT THEM IN ONE AT A TIME AND REBOOT EVERYTIME WNEN THE LAST UPDATE GOES IN AND YOU HAVE REBOOTED THE MAIN UPDATES WILL START DOWNLOADING.

Govan1x 12:39 23 Aug 2016

Have you got to go into safe mode and install them pk46 they will not download with an internet connection. Just get the scan.

Govan1x 12:52 23 Aug 2016

IT its ok started downloading them now.

robin_x 13:21 23 Aug 2016

Govan1x 12:52 23 Aug 16

IT its ok started downloading them now.

Did you just start unstalling those individual links from askvg-com/fix-windows-7-keeps-checking-for-updates-for-hours/ that Fruit Bat posted?

eg Direct Download Link of KB3050265 Update (64-bit or x64)

Govan1x 13:33 23 Aug 2016

robin_x

Hi only one more to download. i take it that last Click here of yours was just for the first one

Govan1x 14:38 23 Aug 2016

Well got ready to give up as I ran the final test and it said that there were still update problems with a red X beside it.

So shut down the computer in disgust and low and behold it wanted to download 3 update. Since then it has downloaded about another 15 so looks like it is sorted.

So thanks everyone for there help it has been appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

2019’s best design book celebrates web design all the way from the ‘90s to now

New Apple products predictions 2020

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !