Restore from win10 to Win8 using system image

dcforum 10:24 13 Dec 2015

I have upgraded from win8.1 to Win10. Prior to the upgrade I took a system Image using the WIN8.1 tool. I assume that I can use this image at ANY time in the future to go back to win8.1. Also if I were to take a system image of win10 prior to going bak to win 8.1 I could then revert back to Win10 any time after that

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 13 Dec 2015

As long as the images are on a separate drive and you have some recovery media to access those images.

I prefer to use third party imaging software such as Macrium reflect.

dcforum 12:16 13 Dec 2015

I keep my images on an external hard drive and, if needed, plan to use the Windows recovery environment to reinstall them. Should there be any problem with that? If there is no problem I assume that I have a solution to going back to Win 8.1 after the 1 month windows allows.

robin_x 14:12 13 Dec 2015

RE should work (It does fail every now and again though)

W8.1 Installation is available for clean re-install if necessary.

Keep a copy, just in case it is ever discontinued.

dcforum 16:52 13 Dec 2015

Thanks for the help. I will download a copy of Macrium - will this work with the images that are created by Windows, or does it need its own Images? One further question - If I create a W8.1 or W10 Installation on a USB stick, I assume that this will install a 'pure' version of the operating system. If this is the case, it would be good to get rid of the Bloatware on my Lenovo pcs but is there a potential problem with missing drivers for the hardware?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 13 Dec 2015
  1. Macrium needs its own images

2. USb Stick - Yes it will be a clean install and possibly you will need to download and install drivers. If LAn driver missing then you will need to download via another PC and transfer across using USB

robin_x 20:48 13 Dec 2015

You can backup existing drivers using Double Driver Free

dcforum 17:15 14 Dec 2015

By 'clean' installation I assume this means that it will be free of all PC manufacture Bloatware. But what level will the OS be? Does microsoft only make the initial level of the OS available, in which case it will eventualy need a lot of updates, OR does microsoft keep updating the OS level regularly to include updates, in which case is there a way of knowing when this happens? or does it rema

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?