Recent windows upadate possible issues?

john bunyan 16:09 23 Mar 2019
Answered

I have a desktop and a laptop; both fully up to date with latest w 10 updates. A couple of weeks ago, I think just after the cumulative update KB4489899, the desktop was fine but I started getting spasmodic BSOD's on the Dell XPS 13 laptop - only on start up , which sometimes ran a correction, other times reported errors . I tried all the usual things like chkdsk /f /r /x and sfc /scannow with no errors. As I have a Dell Premium plan I had a very long phone session where thy tested every soft and hardware feature. There were a few tweaks. However the problem re appeared, so I had a " chat" and call with MS. They helped to do an ISO reinstall of W10. One other point is that in the event viewer, errors of BHUSB were noted. I have a wireless dongle for a mouse on the Dell, so as a precaution I disconnected it on start up. In the end, all seems well, but As the installation was yesterday I am uncertain if all updates are in.I did check and only .Net framework ones came in that came to the desktop in early March. Do I assume that the cumulative update KB4489899 is in with the installation? As it is new only a few updates are recorded. I have used Disc cleanup to remove the windows.old file.

x13 21:42 23 Mar 2019

As the issue is on start up I would recommend disabling hibernation and thus it disables fast start-up. In CMD as Administrator type or copy powercfg -h off and press enter. See how a fresh boot works after shut-down.

john bunyan 21:50 23 Mar 2019

Thanks; will give it a try. Someone also suggested downloading the Toshiba SSD diagnostic tool (The Dell has a 509gig Toshiba one ) to see if that is a contributor.

john bunyan 22:03 23 Mar 2019

P S I always shut down rather than shutting the lid so don’t remember using the hibernation function so won’t miss it . Will try tomorrow

john bunyan 22:06 23 Mar 2019

PPS What about the cumulative updates - is it built in to the new installation? When I checked for updates it was not offered.

x13 22:09 23 Mar 2019

I always shut down

That's the time hibernation and fast start-up kicks in. It will remember a bad boot up as well as a good one. As you have plenty of ram and an SSD you don't really need the hiberfil.sys

x13 22:11 23 Mar 2019

What about the cumulative updates - is it built in to the new installation? When I checked for updates it was not offered.

Check Winver in 'run' to see what version you have.

x13 22:15 23 Mar 2019

17763.379 3/12/2019 Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) KB 4489899

john bunyan 22:30 23 Mar 2019

Will look tomorrow- on iPhone at the mo - thanks

john bunyan 13:16 24 Mar 2019
Answer

x13

Both Desktop and laptop have w 1809 v 17763.379. The desktop update history includes KB 4489899 but te laptop does not as I assume it was built into the ISO Windows 10 after it had been issued. Anyway all seems fine now. I will bear in mind your point on hibernation if I get a recurrence , thanks, I have made a Macrium Reflect image of the working system and a restore point.

john bunyan 08:44 25 Mar 2019

Regrettably the problem returned. It seems not to be a MS issues W10 reinstalled, and ffc / scannow founno problems, neither did a full memory test. A blue screen check showed the culprit is ntsoskrnl.exe. I have checked all drivers. Now wonder if it is a SSD issue. May try a SSD check- the SSD is a Toshiba KXG50ZNvs 512GNvMe. Will contact Dell later. Did stop hibernation

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Test : la montre connectée Fossil Sport avec puce Snapdragon Wear 3100 à moins de 250 €