Recent problems with Avast on two mwchines

canarieslover 14:13 09 Feb 2018

I have never knowingly installed Avast but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my desktop and laptop have both aquired it. The only thing common to both machines in the last two weeks is that I have updated CCleaner. I am quite careful with anything from the Web and if there is an option to custom install I select this to avoid third party software being installed with it. On both machines Avast has increased boot up and shutdown times, very noticeable on the desktop as I had just installed Win 10 so it had nothing too much on it to cause slowdown. Even after using Avast removal tool I am still experiencing slowdown, in fact it's worse than having a virus. Any ideas out there for getting my speeds back up? Both machines Win 10 using Defender as antiviral.

alanrwood 16:03 09 Feb 2018

Can you not revert to a previous restore point.

Avast almost certainly came from Ccleaner installation. As I remember there is a checkbox to deselect it. I am speaking only from memory.

Govan1x 16:08 09 Feb 2018

I think alanrwood is correct and it does come with C Cleaner. I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago and I am almost sure that I had to untick Avast.

john bunyan 16:09 09 Feb 2018

Yes, recently the CCleaner updates have left users to UNtick the Avast box. Very sneaky and annoying.

john bunyan 16:14 09 Feb 2018

See this thread too

CCleaner

john bunyan 16:18 09 Feb 2018

As a suggestion- reinstall and use this to uninstall - maybe try one PC

Avast official uninstaller

john bunyan 16:19 09 Feb 2018

Sorry, noticed you used the tool, but was that in safe mode, as they suggest?

Menzie 17:24 09 Feb 2018

It seems these days you really have to watch what you're installing.

There have been numerous complaints online about Avast being installed alongside CCleaner.

canarieslover 18:27 09 Feb 2018

john bunyan - The uninstal tool automatically restarts into safe mode to do its work. I'm going to reset to an earlier restore point and see if that clears things up. May be a while before I do it as I'm rather busy at the moment. Retirement is a full time job, I had more time to myself when I was working!! Mind you I didn't have regular hospital visits then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 09 Feb 2018

Sure Avast squired Piraform that make CCleaner so not surprised it's now packaged with CCleaner

canarieslover 09:46 10 Feb 2018

To update progress I have restored desktop to earlier date and after a couple of reboots it appears to be sorted. Laptop will have to wait a few days until I can get round to it. Thanks to all for advice.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?