Recent problems with Avast on two mwchines

canarieslover 14:13 09 Feb 2018

I have never knowingly installed Avast but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my desktop and laptop have both aquired it. The only thing common to both machines in the last two weeks is that I have updated CCleaner. I am quite careful with anything from the Web and if there is an option to custom install I select this to avoid third party software being installed with it. On both machines Avast has increased boot up and shutdown times, very noticeable on the desktop as I had just installed Win 10 so it had nothing too much on it to cause slowdown. Even after using Avast removal tool I am still experiencing slowdown, in fact it's worse than having a virus. Any ideas out there for getting my speeds back up? Both machines Win 10 using Defender as antiviral.

alanrwood 16:03 09 Feb 2018

Can you not revert to a previous restore point.

Avast almost certainly came from Ccleaner installation. As I remember there is a checkbox to deselect it. I am speaking only from memory.

Govan1x 16:08 09 Feb 2018

I think alanrwood is correct and it does come with C Cleaner. I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago and I am almost sure that I had to untick Avast.

john bunyan 16:09 09 Feb 2018

Yes, recently the CCleaner updates have left users to UNtick the Avast box. Very sneaky and annoying.

john bunyan 16:14 09 Feb 2018

See this thread too

CCleaner

john bunyan 16:18 09 Feb 2018

As a suggestion- reinstall and use this to uninstall - maybe try one PC

Avast official uninstaller

john bunyan 16:19 09 Feb 2018

Sorry, noticed you used the tool, but was that in safe mode, as they suggest?

Menzie 17:24 09 Feb 2018

It seems these days you really have to watch what you're installing.

There have been numerous complaints online about Avast being installed alongside CCleaner.

canarieslover 18:27 09 Feb 2018

john bunyan - The uninstal tool automatically restarts into safe mode to do its work. I'm going to reset to an earlier restore point and see if that clears things up. May be a while before I do it as I'm rather busy at the moment. Retirement is a full time job, I had more time to myself when I was working!! Mind you I didn't have regular hospital visits then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 09 Feb 2018

Sure Avast squired Piraform that make CCleaner so not surprised it's now packaged with CCleaner

canarieslover 09:46 10 Feb 2018

To update progress I have restored desktop to earlier date and after a couple of reboots it appears to be sorted. Laptop will have to wait a few days until I can get round to it. Thanks to all for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 3 review

Automatically create thousands of unique variations from one original design with this Illustrator…

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Razer Phone 2