Hot Topics

Question about Windows 10 clean install

sam123 11:04 30 Dec 2019

Going to reset my laptop as it has a number of issues, I still have the restore drive which will take it back to as new, but that is three versions of Windows out of date, and will also reinstall all the rubbish etc. So I am going to perform a clean install. I've done all I can, USB drive made from Media Creation Tool. and the drivers I am certain are correct, which include display, LAN and sound, But not yet any wireless. My question is will I have internet access when the install is finished so I can get the rest of the drivers through Intel etc. (I cannot identify the correct driver). or Windows update. Basically will the clean install give me some sort of basic wireless driver so I may get online. Thanks for any help.

sam123 11:21 04 Jan 2020

For the record did the clean install this morning. Everything worked. A few generic drivers but soon updated. Now running Windows update. That infernal malicious software tool. Must turn it off.

alanrwood 15:24 04 Jan 2020

I wouldn't if I were you. It only runs once a month when the patch Tuesday updates are issued and only takes 5 mins or so.

sam123 16:00 04 Jan 2020

That was just frustration, but I have often wondered if it actually does anything.

I did have the one blip, card reader didn't work. It has never shown in Device Manager so wasn't sure what to do. Eventually discovered that the two services that control it were set to manual. Started them and changed setting to auto and now working.

Taff™ 16:57 04 Jan 2020

Well done Sam!

Hope we helped mate!

alanrwood 18:11 04 Jan 2020

Glad it is sorted

alanrwood 18:11 04 Jan 2020

Glad it is sorted

alanrwood 18:12 04 Jan 2020

Glad it is sorted

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)