PSU Issues, Frequent Surges Under Load

Joshua Cooper 18:16 01 Sep 2019

Hey! So I just got a secondhand PC, and I'm having a few issues with it.

It was fine Friday and yesterday, I spent a lot of time getting it set up and testing it, and it worked perfectly from Friday to this morning.

However, for the last 2-3 hours, I've had constant issues with it shutting off every 10-15 minutes during gameplay, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Full timeline:

Got PC Friday Tested PC Saturday Updated all drivers Overclocked GPU Overclocked CPU Updated to latest W10 Patch overnight PC shuts off every 10-15 minutes when under load, Asus surge protection detects something, and then resets my PC instantly

Attempted fixes:

Reset BIOS to Optimized Defaults Reset GPU OC Reset CPU OC Soft and Hard reboots Disabled ASUS Surge Protection Reseated RAM Reseated CPU Reseated GPU Fresh Thermal Paste Reseated every single cable Checked for short circuit points Checked for capacitor damage Rolled back Windows update to yesterday

Specs:

i5-4690k MSI GTX 970 4GB 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600MHz Asus H81M Plus Motherboard 120GB SSD 250GB HDD Windows 10 Pro Thermaltake Smart SE 630W PSU

So what do you think guys? I'm 90% sure that the PSU is just on it's last legs, but I really don't want to buy a new one, since I just dumped half my wages into this PC already. Anything else you can think of to try?

Menzie 19:28 01 Sep 2019

The Power Supply you have now isn't rated very highly within the gaming community particularly for overclocking.

Try running your system at stock speeds to see if things improve, but also look into getting a better supply to run that system as soon as you can.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)