program to use instead of CCleaner

wescliff 22:50 23 Mar 2019

Have been using CCleaner since Win98, but have now had enough. Every time I boot up there is a pop up add at bottom right of the screen wanting me to upgrade to a paid for version. There is no option anywhere to turn this off. I think this pain may date from their association with Avast, and I also think the policy is to nag and nag again until we give up and but the pro version. I've just blocked everything I could find with my firewall, perhaps this will work. If not has anyone here tried BleachBit. And is it OK? Many thanks.

BT 08:57 24 Mar 2019

I don't get any Pop ups from CC except just recently about an add on for the paid version which I don't have, but its only very occasionally. I do get a reminder when there's an update but that's acceptable.

john bunyan 10:22 24 Mar 2019

You still, on updating CCleaner free version, have to be vigilant and untick the box offering to install Avast.

wescliff 11:06 24 Mar 2019

Box for Avast was ticked. I knew about that dirty trick. Firewall does seem to be working so will leave it for now. No pop up this morning.

x13 15:20 24 Mar 2019

I use HDCleaner . It's come a long way from the Beta 2017 (images shown on Major Geeks). Does all Ccleaner does (delete or create restore points, keep cookies etc) and a bit more. Will take a little time to get used to the interface but I like the software. For updates it has to be checked manually. Worth a look anyway.

KEITH 1955 16:03 24 Mar 2019

a strange one for you I have ccleaner on 2 pc both running windows 10 and both running the same free version of ccleaner but only one pc gets pop up for upgrade request

BT 08:17 25 Mar 2019

have to be vigilant and untick the box offering to install Avast.

Can't say I see that and I update regularly. I vaguely recall it a few years go when I got caught by it but haven't seen it since.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?