Hot Topics

Problem with moving windows to new computer

Dallypro 18:23 21 Jan 2020

Hi All

First post, my understanding is limited so please go easy on me.

Hoping someone can help with migrating windows 10 to another computer.

My original computer died. Motherboard overheated and is now dead. HDD was absolutely fine and still includes windows 10 and all my data.

I have bought a new reconditioned laptop, that comes without an operating system.

I have been reading about how to swap windows 10 onto a different computer, however most say to create a file using your original setup. Obviously I cant do this as the laptop is dead, and the hdd is currently sat in a caddy waiting for the information to be transferred somewhere.

So, how can I get windows 10 off the hard drive in the caddy and onto my new completely blank hard drive?

Note that I dont have a product key, so I assume that it was a digital registration.

Many thanks in advance.

x13 18:36 21 Jan 2020

Officially you can't without getting a licence for Win 10 and getting someone to download the Media creation tool so you can install on the laptop's drive then transferring your data over from the old drive. However if the old computer was a laptop and had a 2.5" drive try swapping it into your newer laptop and see if it activates. Remember to make backup images in future.

Jollyjohn 11:46 28 Jan 2020

I agree with x13 - if the drive fits, pop it in the new laptop. I found Windows 10 surprisingly tolerant of moving to new hardware.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Creatives in China won't find this flag on Adobe, Getty or Shutterstock

The best games on Apple Arcade

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique