Preventing OneDrive syncing automatically in W10

Saruman 13:12 04 Apr 2017

As a subscriber to Office 365, I have access to 1 TB of OneDrive space. I thought it would be a good idea to use this as a backup for my files in addition to the external hard drive I use. However, having moved about 0.5TB to my OneDrive folder (a process which took several days!) I now realise that the prime purpose of OneDrive is to allow remote access by ‘syncing’ to several devices and not, as I was hoping, a backup service. Because OneDrive automatically synchronizes my local files with the ‘Cloud’, any mistake I inadvertently make will immediately will be replicated to the Cloud – not a good feature of a backup! Since I doubt I will ever need to access my files on a phone in Timbuktu, is there any way I can prevent OneDrive automatically synchronizing and instead manually sync, say once a week, once I’m sure all my local files are OK?

conrail 21:14 05 Apr 2017

Hi Saruman, had same problem after reinstalling windows 10, what I did was uninstall onedrive and when I want to save programs photos to onedrive I open up and log into one drive, click here, from there I can just upload the files I want, onedrive had installed itself on my hard drive when I reset my laptop, hope this is of some help to you.

Procrastinus 10:10 06 Apr 2017

If you want to get rid of One Drive altogether, here is what to do: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

B2B design is softening up

New Apple products predictions 2020

Les meilleurs cadeaux pour fans de Star Wars