Poor gaming performance on 250GB SSD

Evaldas Zabitis 09:50 21 Mar 2018

Hello everyone, I few weeks ago I put an additional SSD storage on my MSI GP60 2PE, and installed Windows 10 on it. The new storage is Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD.

I have noticed that gaming performance is very, very poor - the game is struggling to achieve a decent fps even on old games.

Yes, SSD is set to AHCI mode in BIOS.

What could be the case? I can't find a good solution anywhere.

rdave13 10:10 21 Mar 2018

Download Samsung Magician to check your drive.

Evaldas Zabitis 10:26 21 Mar 2018

Hi rdave13 and thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have checked my SSD through Samsung Magician and no faults were found, the firmware is also the latest.

Any other thoughts?

rdave13 10:38 21 Mar 2018

Enough free space on the drive? and worth checking alignment. click here.

Evaldas Zabitis 11:10 21 Mar 2018

I checked alignment, there were no errors and everything seems ok. There are plenty of space on SSD also

rdave13 11:21 21 Mar 2018

Running out of ideas here. As it's the C: drive it should be connected to the first SATA 3 port on the motherboard. Did you clone the drive or did you clean install win 10? Can't think of anything else to check at the moment.

Evaldas Zabitis 14:02 21 Mar 2018

I bought the SSD, put it in the slot, which was available for an additional SSD storage, disconnected HDD, installed windows on SSD and only then I connected HDD back.

I don't have any more ideas either, I just don't understand why the performance of gaming dropped down so much after adding that SSD.

Evaldas Zabitis 19:25 22 Mar 2018

Anybody has any other ideas, or should I take my SSD back to seller?

wee eddie 21:45 22 Mar 2018

Why do I think that an SSD should improve Gaming Performance.

Surely Gaming Performance is all about your Graphics Card. The performance of the storage medium is hardly a factor

Evaldas Zabitis 17:17 23 Mar 2018

The point is that I didn't expect the gaming performance to be improved. But it got much worse instead. That is the problem.

wee eddie 18:00 23 Mar 2018

Your PC. What was its original OS and what is its MOBO?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2018)