Poor gaming performance on 250GB SSD

Evaldas Zabitis 09:50 21 Mar 2018

Hello everyone, I few weeks ago I put an additional SSD storage on my MSI GP60 2PE, and installed Windows 10 on it. The new storage is Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD.

I have noticed that gaming performance is very, very poor - the game is struggling to achieve a decent fps even on old games.

Yes, SSD is set to AHCI mode in BIOS.

What could be the case? I can't find a good solution anywhere.

Evaldas Zabitis 10:26 21 Mar 2018

Hi rdave13 and thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have checked my SSD through Samsung Magician and no faults were found, the firmware is also the latest.

Any other thoughts?

Evaldas Zabitis 11:10 21 Mar 2018

I checked alignment, there were no errors and everything seems ok. There are plenty of space on SSD also

Evaldas Zabitis 14:02 21 Mar 2018

I bought the SSD, put it in the slot, which was available for an additional SSD storage, disconnected HDD, installed windows on SSD and only then I connected HDD back.

I don't have any more ideas either, I just don't understand why the performance of gaming dropped down so much after adding that SSD.

Evaldas Zabitis 19:25 22 Mar 2018

Anybody has any other ideas, or should I take my SSD back to seller?

wee eddie 21:45 22 Mar 2018

Why do I think that an SSD should improve Gaming Performance.

Surely Gaming Performance is all about your Graphics Card. The performance of the storage medium is hardly a factor

Evaldas Zabitis 17:17 23 Mar 2018

The point is that I didn't expect the gaming performance to be improved. But it got much worse instead. That is the problem.

wee eddie 18:00 23 Mar 2018

Your PC. What was its original OS and what is its MOBO?

wee eddie 18:05 23 Mar 2018

Is the SSD showing as your C Drive or your D Drive

Evaldas Zabitis 18:28 23 Mar 2018

Its original OS was Win 8.1 when I bought it. I updated it to Win 10 after a month. Yes, my SSD is as C disk. I don't know the model of my motherboard however.

Thanks for your reply

wee eddie 19:21 23 Mar 2018

Like you, I am somewhat suprised that Games are playing slower since you installed the SSD.

Is the Game loaded on the D Drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Grad Shows 2019: The Best New Illustration and Graphic Design Talent from Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15in (2019) review

iMac Pro 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique