PCA - Running Long Running Scripts?

jimforrest 16:49 28 Sep 2013

Whilst using PCA to sort out a prob with a laptop I keep having lock-ups and overheating probs on my old (spare) Acer laptop running Win 7. (The Acer is very easy to overheat and that's why it's a spare comp). In Explorer the pages lock up and I get a message saying 'PCA is not responding due to long running scripts'. If I stop the script by clicking on that option I can then scroll down about 6 lines. In Chrome it just takes ages to load the page and the comp gets hot. It has something to do with a the ads and gumff down the edges of the pages. Is it a PCA problem, a Win 7 problem, or have I got a setting wrong?

john bunyan 17:18 28 Sep 2013

It takes, for me, about 8 - 10 seconds to load - sometimes longer. It has to do with advertising and if you look further you will see it is an ongoing subject. I use IE10 with some adblockers. I cannot see how it could cause overheating though.

jimforrest 17:40 28 Sep 2013

The overheating is a common Acer problem - it has to be one of the worst laptops in the world! That's why it's now a spare comp - as soon as the processor gets stressed it overheats and switches off. Explorer can't cope with PCA but Chrome does (after several seconds of the 'timer').

john bunyan 21:21 28 Sep 2013

Maybe a stupid question but I assume you have a tray of some sort under the laptop? Ie fan entrance not obstructed (unlike a grand daughter who had a laptop on her actual lap)

jimforrest 21:53 28 Sep 2013

It is a laptop but it's on a glass-topped coffee table. From other forums it seems that the cooling holes/fan arrangement was cocked-up in the design. My son tried to play a game on it and it switched off in less than 30sec!

tullie 15:07 30 Sep 2013

Dident know that Acer have a overheating problem,Ive used them for a number of years without a problem.

woodchip 23:11 30 Sep 2013

Turn Off Java Script in your browser for PCA Forum It may be a good\ idea to have a second browser open with Script running so you get full features of other web sites

wee eddie 00:31 01 Oct 2013

Just run this Adblock Plus and the Long Running Script, which is an overdose of Adverts, will be history.

For a long time I supported PCA's advertising policy, then, as they loaded the site with more and bigger adverts, until each page was taking between 60 and 90 seconds to load and become useable. I rebelled, if that is the correct term. I mailed FE to tell him why and then blocked all adverts.

Each page now takes fewer than 10 seconds to fully download.

1]: [click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?