Hot Topics

PC Won’t login to windows or allow me to fix it

George 14:27 13 Feb 2020

So my PC has had the stuck on picture screen at login bug for the past few days. I’ve restarted it hundreds of times, but nothing worked. I went into troubleshooting via a restart and attempted a start up repair and a system restore and all other solutions I’ve read about. However when I try to log into my windows account in order to initiate Start-up Repair, my system won’t let me login. Every time I try it tells me that the password is wrong even though I know it is not and have changed it multiple times to try and fix this. Help Please!!

mrgrumpy 16:04 13 Feb 2020

Forgive me if I am reading this wrong but you say you went into troubleshooting via a restart so at some point you must have got to desktop.

When you get to desktop again this is what you need to do , type run into your search box and you will get a box come up with the run command at the side of an empty space for you to type something into it.

Type netplwiz into the run box and follow the prompts , from now on you with not get the extra screen before your desktop asking you for a password.

Please note.... some parts of Microsoft such as "sign in with Microsoft" to access your personal account and browsing history will lock you out for 1 month if you keep trying to log in with different passwords or keep changing it because their systems will flag it up as suspicious activity.

When you do get it sorted out you will still get a message pop up bottom right saying your account needs attention , just ignore it.

George 16:19 13 Feb 2020

I restarted by pressing the button on the PC itself, not by getting access to the desktop.

mrgrumpy 16:30 13 Feb 2020

Have you tried pressing f8 or some pc's use 5f to see if you can bypass the login screen using safe mode. If you can then re-read my posting.

mrgrumpy 16:31 13 Feb 2020

Sorry forgot to say you tap f8 or f5 as pc is starting up

George 17:22 13 Feb 2020

Restarted it in all three of the safe mode variants. Every time I do I bypass the picture screen but when I try to type my password in, my PC freezes and I’m unable to do anything more.

mrgrumpy 17:46 13 Feb 2020

ok George this is my last attempt to try and help you as I don't know what else to say.

I typed "how do I bypass password" into browser and I copy/pasted the following from a search.....

Boot your computer and immediately press on the F8 key repeatedly until your computer displays the boot menu. With the arrow keys, choose Safe Mode and press the Enter key. On the home screen click on Administrator. If you have no home screen, type Administrator and leave the password field as blank.

IF it works please go back and re read my first post , don't forget what I said about Microsoft locking you out FINGERS CROSSED GOOD LUCK !

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)