Pc starts up then instantly shuts down

Flippywop 12:56 25 Mar 2018

The other day I plugged in my headphone into the front socket which caused my pc to shutdown. now whenever I turn it on it does a short quiet beep before turning off again.

wee eddie 15:10 25 Mar 2018

The Shutdown and plugging in your headphones are likely to be a coincidence

The "Beep" on start-up is called a "POST Beep" and indicates that all is well.

Tell us a little more about your PC and its OS. You may need to start in Safe Mode.

Jollyjohn 13:06 27 Mar 2018

You could try this. Leaving all cables attaches, lay PC on it's side, open the case and carefully trace the wire for the power switch. Remove the wire and using a small screwdriver short out the two pins the power switch was connected to. If PC starts then the power switch has failed. A quick fix is to use the reset switch, if there is one, instead. If PC doesn't start, further investigation is needed.

lotvic 14:38 27 Mar 2018

Don't electrocute yourself.

Only follow JJ's suggestion if you are fully competent in pc repairs.

Then again, if you are fully competent in pc repairs, you wouldn't have needed to ask what to do... ouch.

Jollyjohn 10:48 28 Mar 2018

There is only 5v on the pins. It needs only a quick connection, to mimic the power switch.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?