PC started crashing, now won't boot.

[email protected] 11:46 14 Dec 2015

Good morning all! Having spent the last 16 hours trying to diagnose and fix the issue I'm having, I'm now at a loss. It started last night when I was playing World of Warcraft, my PC would suddenly start freezing. In the space of probably an hour, my computer went from being fine to crashing every minute for a few minutes until I got the BSoD. Couldn't tell you what error code was, as it happened all too quickly. Tried rebooting my PC in safe mode, normal mode, didn't work. One can assume it was the same error code as the one before. Now here is where I'm stuck... I have a recovery disc, won't load, just a blank screen. Start up repair won't work, just a blank screen with my cursor in the middle. I've tried unplugging all devices to see if one is causing the issue, but still the same problem. Have tried a different HDD, but no luck, just hangs on boot. Have cleared the CMOS and reset BIOS settings back to default. I've tried different cables into different sockets on the motherboard, I've tried using onboard graphics instead of my own graphics card. I've even tried using an RGB instead of my HDMI cable. I've done a memory diagnostic test, all seems fine. Is there anything else I haven't tried that I could try? Any help offered is massively appreciated. Thank you in advance!

robin_x 12:41 14 Dec 2015

Try booting with HDD disconnected, you should get an error message.

Try booting from Ubuntu Live DVD/USB (Try it, not Full install). It should run with HDD still disconnected.

Do you get any unusual beeps or Caps Lock Flashing?

What Make/Model/Windows do you have?

[email protected] 16:04 14 Dec 2015

Hi Robin. Thanks for your reply. After some more tinkering around, I have figured out it is definitely my HDD. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I am not getting any unusual beeps or flashing caps lock. The BSoD error I get is Unmountable Boot Volume or something along the lines of. Managed to spot it after a few resets. The annoying thing is I don't have access to another computer in which I can plug the HDD into and repair that way, if it is even repairable. When you say unplug the HDD, do you mean the power cable and the SATA cable? Do I leave other devices plugged in? I.e my DVD RW. Any other info you need? Once again thanks for your reply.

mole1944 16:49 14 Dec 2015

Once you get all going ok clone the drive saves loads of aggro if it does it again, i can get up and going if needed with tower/laptop with a drive swap i 5 mins flat.It looks like you may have to to a complete reinstall once done do the clone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 14 Dec 2015

boot from a bootable dvd or USB and run

chkdsk /f/r

that may be enough to get the drive running so you can extract you data before fitting a new HDD.

robin_x 21:45 14 Dec 2015

The annoying thing is I don't have access to another computer in which I can plug the HDD into and repair that way, if it is even repairable. When you say unplug the HDD, do you mean the power cable and the SATA cable? Do I leave other devices plugged in? I.e my DVD RW. Any other info you need? Once again thanks for your reply.

You really need a working spare machine to be able to download tools and make CD/DVD/USB Flash media.

If pennies are tight:

Old PCs are often available on Freecycle (laptops less so). Or something cheap and working from eBay.

Or ask friend or relative if they have anything they can spare for a while or permanently.

=-=-=-=

Unplugging HDD SATA Power and/or Data cable is sufficient to try booting again for error message.

[email protected] 10:05 15 Dec 2015

I do have a laptop, but it came without a cd/dvd rom. Dont ask why! After spending a good part of the evening trying to salvage my data on my hard drive, it just wasn't meant to be. In the end I decided to accept defeat, run DBAN and wipe it clean. Thank you all for your advice, it was much appreciated. I'll certainly be getting a 2nd HDD to clone to save this hassle again!! Have a good day all. Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD