PC Restarts every morning - 5 minutes after switch

tallboy 10:57 26 Aug 2017

My wife's Dell Stdio, running 64-bit Windows 10 Creator, has a really annoying problem. It restarts without fail (with no warning) about 5 minutes after the first switch-on of the day. There's no error message either before or after the restart. The system updates OK.

How do I find out what is causing this problem - and of course stopping it happening! (Usually at the most inconvenient time when she is using eM Client - which then ends up with a corrupted database!)

All ideas welcome. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 26 Aug 2017

look in event viewer and see what shows there.

possibly a dying PSU as it only does it from cold start.

tallboy 08:21 30 Aug 2017

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat /\0/. I looked in the Event Viewer, but there was no indication of a PSU problem.

However, this PC (a 7-year old Dell Studio portable) has been exhibiting a conflict between Advanced System Care (ASC) & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. (I have both programs on another - newer - desktop and they work with no conflicts.) I have removed ASC from the Dell Studio and the re-start problem has gone away, so I guess that conflict was the cause of the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?