PC keeps freezing with Windows 10

Zipper123 18:29 06 Jan 2018

Hello all,

On the 8th of December 2017 I had an update for Windows 10. This update seems to have ruined my PC for some reason that eludes me. I have tried to solve why, but sadly I could not find a solution. The issue I have is randomly (Usually when playing a game, but sometimes even when it's idle) my PC will slow down, the sound will stutter, the fps will drop and then my PC freezes. I can't move my mouse, I can't alt+tab/ +f4, I can't Ctrl+alt+delete, I can't move my mouse. I simply can't do anything other than force shut down my PC. I have a small light flickering just underneath the power button when my PC is running, yet even that stops however the fans still keep running.

I've followed various steps: Updating all my drivers, checking for corrupt files, resetting the Winsock, increasing virtual memory, turned off link state power management, turned off fast startup and so on. Yet none of them seemed to have worked.

I have had this happen to me before once every couple of months, but never this frequently. It now happens around 6-8 times a day, and I am pretty much at my breaking point.

Does anybody have any idea as to why this might be happening? I am completely lost.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jack

Procrastinus 12:27 08 Jan 2018

Perhaps if you run Resource Monitor (Admin Tools > Computer Management > System Tools > Performance) in half your screen and when it stutters/slows try to see what process is hogging your CPU/system.

Govan1x 13:43 08 Jan 2018

I have this problem which freezes my PC. I also have to press the start button to shut down and that shows more problems in Event Viewer.

Gave up looking for a fix as I could not find one.

Click here

Go into event viewer and see if you have an Event ID 360.

If you do not have W10 Home ignore this as I believe the problem is with the Home version.

br1anstorm 22:16 10 Jan 2018

I've just posted separately about a similar problem with very slow Win10 on a computer than should be lightning quick. The evidence from a lot of other forums suggests that the cause is an update (build 1709) which has been rolled out since Oct 2017 and which Win10 Home users cannot refuse or prevent. It then seems to clog up the system.

I suggest the OP might look at Update History to see whether 1709 has been installed. If it failed, the updater may well be persistently trying to install it, and this is taking huge resource and slowing all other apps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)