PC drops internet connection after 2 mins or so...

Mikey Bryce 20:10 10 Jan 2017

Hey there, i have a custom windows 7 pc, about a month ago i started having this problem where the network connection would appear to be fine but would drop after about a minute and a half. It will only work again after i run the following command line... commands...

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

I have a vague idea of what they do but it's irrelevant if i can't figure out the problem lol.

So far i've replaced the network adapter for a new and different one and also replaced and updated the relevant driver, but i'm still stuck with the same issue. I've written a script to bodge the issue but it will still persist after a minute or so.

Hoping someone can help me, thanks, Mikey

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:39 11 Jan 2017

Something to start

wireless or cable connected to router?

go to device manager and check the properties - power tab for the network adaptors - make sure the box allow the computer to switch off... is unticked.

Secret-Squirrel 11:39 11 Jan 2017

Mikey, the first thing that you should try is to turn your router off for a few seconds then turn it back on. That frequently helps with all manner of connection problems.

If that doesn't help, then looking at what you're doing to fix the problem, try assigning the relevant network adapter fixed IP addresses. For the IPv4 address make sure the last octet is a high one such as 200 otherwise it may conflict with other devices that have been assigned their addresses via DHCP. If you don't know how to do all that then post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

A new magazine aims to educate kids about food with some very edgy artwork

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment arrĂȘter la lecture automatique sur Netflix ?