Pc crashes when I try to open "Settings" in Win10

Ian_Phillips 14:26 11 Nov 2015
Answered

Each time I try to go to the settings panel my pc crashes.! Grrr! So annoying.! Can anybody help me? Do I need to do a reboot-repair? Or is it a cache file problem? I have no idea what has caused this, it was working fine back in july when I installed Win 10, but now it just crashes the Windows App. Help...!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 11 Nov 2015

Right click start - select Run - type

sfc /scannow

let windows scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files.

on completion retry to enter settings.

Ian_Phillips 12:04 15 Nov 2015

Thanks Fruit Bat. I tried this. however when I did it didn't work. (see screen shot below.)

Ian_Phillips 12:06 15 Nov 2015
Answer

chub_tor 12:56 15 Nov 2015

You could try running the Win 10 App Troubleshooter

Ian_Phillips 18:25 23 Nov 2015

Thanks guy's, However it's completely dead now! It boots up then crashes imediately after loading the desktop

I've tried using command prompt before it died to check & verify disc, however it got to 40% through it then failed. Also tried online check & verify disc commands, but that failed too!

Then I tried to recover it with my original windows 8.1 recovery discs made when I got the laptop. But no joy, it said it was not the right recovery disc for windows 10! I so wish I never did the damn upgrade to windows 10 now, it was running sweet before that.

It has now left me wondering if the hard drive is completely dead or just corrupted? The laptop is only 14 months old, (typically just out of warrantee! Grrr!)so I really don't want to have too buy a new one unless I have no other option.

Does anyone know if I can get another windows 10 boot disc from HP or Microsoft with the original EOM key that I've managed to find out by running BitAdviser shortly before it died?

Ian :(

P.S. A tip from me; I have to say that I can highly recommend to everyone going to BitAdviser.com and running thier little app. It's free and totally awesome if you need to find ut and hidden keys for all of your installed software! It found everything, including the key for MS Office which I hadn't bought as I had an older version ayway. :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 23 Nov 2015

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD