PC crashed, everything on different partition

aqauopti3 14:33 07 Jan 2018

So recently, my PC crashed and every time I booted, Windows would give me the "BADSYSTEMCONFIG" BSOD and lead me to the recovery options. I tried every option, none of them worked. So I had to reinstall Windows on a different disk partition, one which is very small (only 30 GB). All my programs and files are on my other partition, which is 1 TB but I can't boot into it because obviously that Windows isn't working. I have no space on this partition; I can't move the files here, so what should I do?

If it is possible, I really want to repair the Windows on the large partition and set it as active. If there is a way to do that, please tell me.

If not, then I will accept my fate and move all my files & programs from that partition onto a different disk, delete the partition and then make the partition I'm using Windows with right now bigger.

Can anyone else think of any options? I don't really want to spend a lot of time on this because I need to use my PC, and I can't do much right now. Thanks.

aqauopti3 14:36 07 Jan 2018

Whoops, forgot to specify. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, my large partition has the newest version but the one I'm using right now is the one before. Sorry, I can't remember the exact numbers and for some reason my PC won't tell me

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 07 Jan 2018

every time I booted, Windows would give me the "BADSYSTEMCONFIG" BSOD and lead me to the recovery options.

To try and repair the original windows. Remove the SSD and Put the hard drive back to its original SATA port if you moved it.

1. Reboot your computer until you see ‘Preparing Automatic Repair’.(usually takes three attempts to get this message).
  2. Select Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
  3. Type cd c:\windows\system32\config press Enter.
  4. Type MD backup press Enter.
  5. Type copy _ backup press Enter. Window will show the files as they are copied. Wait for them to complete before proceeding.
  6. Type CD regback press Enter. You should see copies of your registry files with a number next to them. If that number is no 0, continue.
  7. Type copy _ .. and press Enter.
  8. It will be asked to confirm copy, type ‘a’ and press Enter.
  9. Reboot your PC. it should now be Ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?