Partition hidden: Software problem or Hardware?

iamqaisarkhan 06:56 10 Dec 2018

Yesterday, I published a 3 x 6 feet banner in Office Publisher, saved it into PDF and PNG format and shutdown my laptop. After a few minutes, I turned on my laptop to edit these files. When my laptop turned on, I didn't see two partitions (Disk D and Disk E) but Disk C where I have installed my Windows 10 was shown. I opened Disk Management to take a look at the problem. Local Disk C was shown healthy as Primary and System partition but the other two partitions were neither shown healthy or primary partition nor unallocated. I tried to change drive letters and paths but I message dialog was opened:

"The operation failed to complete because Disk Management Console is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task...."

I tried to reinstall windows 10. On first try, I didn't see any one partition of D and E. I restarted the process. Now, Partition C and D were shown but E was not. I reinstalled windows 10 and checked out file explorer and Disk management again to know the problem. Now, I was able to change drive letter and path for Disk D (2nd partition) and Local Disk D was mounted. But the problem persisted with 3rd Partition. I tried to fix it with DISKPART. When I given the command "list disk" and "list volume" only three volumes were shown, first that is active partition needed for windows (500mb), second volume C where my windows is installed and third local disk D but fourth partition (Local Disk E) was not shown. When given command "list partition" all four partitions were shown but fourth partition E was with *.

I tried to fix problem with EaseUS partition master. I tried to change drive letter, I received message, "Failed to mount partition. Process failed (etc)" error code was not shown. I tried to explore using EaseUS, all data was safe and shown with no option of copy or move. But I couldn't explore it using file explorer. I think either partition is lost or not mounted.

Is it a software problem or hardware?

What should I do? What should I do to mount partition and save data?

Please help me to fix it.

Thank you

Jollyjohn 10:24 10 Dec 2018

I would download a Linux distro and burn it to a cd. Boot from it and run "Live CD" This should then show you your partitions and allow you to copy the data from them.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P30 Pro review: hands-on

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Huawei P30 et P30 Pro : date de sortie, prix et fiches techniques