Is an operating system downgrade needed?

Adama911 06:59 15 Jun 2019

Hi all, So I have a fairly oldish laptop (2013) that cost me close to a grand and is still pretty powerful for my needs.

The computer states that it once had windows 7 on it but when I bought it from pc world it had windows 8. Then I had to download windows 8.1 and then got offered the free windows 10.

Since getting windows 10 over a year ago I've had nothing but problems. Some hardware on my laptop doesn't appear compatible with it. Drivers don't work properly etc. Some of the general functions of the system don't work properly. It's driving me up the wall. I've tried clearing it out, downloading older drivers, resetting pc, EVERYTHING.I've been reading lots of complaints online that windows 10 shouldn't have been offered to some customers with older systems and windows haven't tried to correct a lot of the clashes with systems. It appears to me they were just too eager to get rid of 8 and 8.1 regardless of the affect.

Is downgrading my operating system an option? It worked fine on 8 and 8.1. Do I have to pay for it or will the original windows 8 still be installed and available on my laptop underneath 10 if I restore it?

Thanks for your help.

BRYNIT 08:14 15 Jun 2019

Usually the windows 8-8.1 product key is tied to the motherboard and all you would need to do is down load windows 8.1 from Microsoft and do a clean install CLICK HERE for instructions. Sometimes the product key is behind the batter if it's removable.

You say you have had problems with drivers not working properly in windows 10. Have you ever been to the laptop Manufacture web site to check if they have updated drivers available? I have found on some laptops you have to manually install drivers from the Manufacturer web site for some things to work correctly.

Have you tried doing a clean install of Windows 10? CLICK HERE for instructions (Your Windows 10 will have a digital licence and will reactivate when connected to the web)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:44 15 Jun 2019

Make and model of laptop?

I'm running a 2010 old dell laptop quite happily on win 10 a bit slow with only 2 g RAM but much faster than on its original win 7.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 15 Jun 2019

You have asked the same thing again click here Better to stay with 10 and sort the driver issues

If you want to go back to 8.1 you will have to clean install (as Bryant posted) and lose everything else on the machine, therefore back up all your data, drivers, e mails photo etc. make a note of serial numbers and passcodes before you start.

Adama911 14:04 15 Jun 2019

Okay thank you for your time.

Govan1x 22:39 15 Jun 2019

Normally a factory reset would do what you want. But not sure if it gets deleted on Windows updates.

name and model number of laptop may help.

Adama911 03:21 16 Jun 2019

Hi all, thanks for your help. I restored windows 8.1 and now laptop is working amazingly. Everything is working fine with no issues.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)