novatech external hd not recognised

conrail 11:26 16 Sep 2019

I have a large, as compared to modern external drives, see picture, 1 Tb novatech external hd that was used with an x-box 360, the drive has just been sitting there, unplugged and unused, for a couple of months, I decided to use it as an external backup on my windows 10 home laptop but when I plugged it into my usb 3 port, the drive is usb 3, it doesn't show up, I have an older win10 home laptop, it doesn't show up on there either, I asume it is because it is formatted for the x-box, current laptop is an asus, the older one is an HP, all help and advice appreciated in getting this drive tos be accessible

conrail 11:28 16 Sep 2019

sorry, forgot to include picture, have one, of many, senior moments: click here

wee eddie 12:00 16 Sep 2019

First problem: Older USB Drives tend to require more power than a normal laptop USB Port can provide. A splitter cable providing power from 2 USB Ports may be needed.

Secondly: it will need to be reformatted to something suitable for your lappy

conrail 12:07 16 Sep 2019

thank you wee eddy, the hd has it's own power source, the next question is, how do I get the laptop tomrecognise the drive so I can reformat it?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)