Is This Normal?? Please help!

Herby 09:57 30 Nov 2018

Hi there. something weird happened to a laptop i just purchased. I set up the laptop and set the full computer name to my name. I moved into a new place, connected to my new flatmates network. As I was applying for jobs online I hit the browse button to locate my resume and it said that it was in a user folder called JOAO. This is my flatmates name. I went into the system and my full computer name had changed to JOAO-pc... what and why is this????

Thanks for reading Zak

rickf 15:44 30 Nov 2018

Agree, very strange. Hope someone can make suggestions.

lotvic 19:32 30 Nov 2018

If you joined his home network and have file sharing, then you will see his pc in addition to your own.

Perhaps you only meant to connect your laptop via WiFi to the router to get internet but have also joined the home network?

Herby 07:35 03 Dec 2018

Hi thanks for a reply. The thing is i dont see mine. mine seems to have changed to his. For instance when i download something it goes into a folder called C:\users\JOAO and its the same when uploading. I have changed my computers full name back to MY-PC, I rebooted and when i went into advanced user properties it said the the computers name was MY-PC/JOAO. JOAO is my flatmates name. There is only one user account and i had already turned off sharing. yet his name is all over my laptop?!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable