Noisy fan on new Asus x442u

Ouzoadi 15:19 21 Jan 2018

I bought a new Asus X442UR (Windows 10, i5 8th generation) and the fan seems too noisy, and it is running all the time. I tried going into the bios configurations to turn it off but I cannot find the setting. Any advice on how to make it turn on only when it is needed? It doesn't heat up but the fan still runs constantly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 21 Jan 2018

If its new then take it back.

alanrwood 16:08 21 Jan 2018

Yes the instruction book is not very detailed. Usually fan speeds and starting temps are found in the BIOS The initial screen does show fan speed but no way to control it.

Have you looked in the advanced section by pressing F7 and exploring options there.

If no luck then seems you need to return it to where you purchased it from as Fruit Bat suggests.

Ouzoadi 16:32 21 Jan 2018

I should take it back but I'm already in another country by now. That's my situation

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:34 21 Jan 2018
  Ouzoadi 09:17 22 Jan 2018

I saw this video, but I reduced the power to 40% and the fan still started eventually. Also at 40% the laptop is slower and not worth the budget i put into it.

alanrwood 10:22 22 Jan 2018

Then you have little choice but to accept it as it is or return it to the shop from which you bought it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:23 22 Jan 2018

Lots of reports of noisy fan on this machine click here I think your stuck with it.

Ouzoadi 08:28 24 Jan 2018

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided the noise is not loud enough to go through all the hassle, might be a slightly above average fan noise but i guess my expectations for the laptop were too high. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)