New Windows 10 pc questions please.

gazmix 18:00 31 Aug 2018

Hi Bought yesterday for mi folks Dell Optiplex 320 core 13 windows 10 from. It's not been started in a month so should there be lots of Microsoft updates, seems its spent last 3hrs updating, freezing, installing etc.

Also it had avg free pre installed when updates were freezing so I uninstalled avg and updates carried on as normal so is it best to just use windows defender and firewall.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 31 Aug 2018

Defender OK but I prefer something a little better,

I used AVG then Avast for a long time before AVG became bloated and Avast pop ups got too intrusive.

Try Kaspersky free version

MJS WARLORD 19:17 31 Aug 2018

On any new pc you will find loads of updates for any version you are using and this will be what is causing you a problem , you will find lots of updates will fail because you are giving it a lot to think about , I just checked whats on my 2 year old pc I have nearly 70 items in the installed updates.

The same thing will be happening to your anti virus software , if you are not happy with avg I can recommend Kaspersky but the same updates scenario will arise.

Don't be offended when I say this but if you have a low spec pc it will struggle to do multiple updates , I have a low spec windows 7 as a spare pc and if I do a clean install I get the same problems your having , just keep re trying till it sorts itself out.

gazmix 19:35 31 Aug 2018

Many thanks Mjs Warlord, should I just let the updates run then?

It's a dell optiplex Intel core 13 I like avg I just wonder whether it's any better than defender though it seemed to stop windows security updates. Heard best to use windows firewall and 3rd party Av.

MJS WARLORD 19:47 31 Aug 2018

yes just keep re doing updates till windows say UP TO DATE , I heave defender off but scan with it once a week

gazmix 23:00 02 Sep 2018

OK thanks, it's says all updated but when I check for updates it finds stuff. Also the restart time after updates, if set fir 3pm is that daily or just after updates installed? Thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)