Hot Topics

new SSD drive format Yes/No?

conrail 10:19 02 Jun 2020

running windows 10 home on an Acer laptop, have ordered a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA SSD drive to boost the laptop, a friend recommended AOMEI Backupper to transfer all from laptop to SSD drive, does a SSD drive need formatting before use, if so what type, FAT or what? replacing current drive with SSD once backup is complete

alanrwood 10:28 02 Jun 2020

The SSD will probably come unformatted so any format would normally be NTFS. Do any formatting in Win10 (if that is what your OS is) to get the offset correct.

Also a cloning piece of software might come with the SSD so wait and see.

conrail 10:35 02 Jun 2020

thank you alanrwood, I appreciate your help and advice

Secret-Squirrel 11:58 02 Jun 2020

...........a friend recommended AOMEI Backupper ............

Samsung's own data migration software is very easy to use and does everything you need. If there's not a CD in the box, or if its of no use to you, you can download it from here. Scroll down to the Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer SSD section.

.....does a SSD drive need formatting before use....

The Samsung software will do everything, so for you, the answer's "no".

conrail 20:54 02 Jun 2020

thank you Secret-Squirrel, I have downloaded the sofrware and manual, I appreciate your help and advice

conrail 21:36 05 Jun 2020

hi guys, new drive arrived, formatted and assigned drive letter D but I keep getting an error message, click here although the driveappears to be fine, click here, has anybody any suggestions as to what is going wrong

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 06 Jun 2020

Sorry to hear that it's not working for you :(

What happens when you click on the X to close the error message? Does it reveal the "Start" button?

If that doesn't help then temporarily disable your anti-virus and make sure there are no other USB devices connected apart from your new Samsung.

........new drive arrived, formatted and assigned drive letter D.........

The Samsung software is designed for new Samsung drives that have had nothing done with them so maybe that's what the problem is - although that's a guess because the error message is so vague.

Plan B would be for you to use the software recommended by your friend.

conrail 12:01 06 Jun 2020

Thank you Secret-Squirrel, "What happens when you click on the X to close the error message? Does it reveal the "Start" button?" I do get the start button but I end up going around in circles, I have installed AOMEI Backupper as recomended by friend but although disc management shows the disc is active, 931,5Gb, click here,AOMEI Backupper says the disc has insufficient space,click here, can you help and advise me please

Gordon Freeman 12:57 06 Jun 2020

Did you use a special lead from laptop usb to the new ssd when you first started all this, and did you use samsung migration software? I think it's called magician. When I did mine a few years ago it went as smooth as you like, so don't get why you're having issues.

Star Tech Lead

conrail 14:02 06 Jun 2020

thank you Gordon Freeman, I have a lead exactly the same from a companh called iitrust, got it of amazon, trying with samsung data migration software

Secret-Squirrel 16:51 06 Jun 2020

.......AOMEI Backupper says the disc has insufficient space...

According to your pic, AOMEI Backupper thinks the drive has zero space so I don't know what's going on there.

If you do get further with this software then make sure that the "SSD Alignment" option is ticked before you start otherwise it'll adversely affect the SSD's endurance and performance.

I do get the start button but I end up going around in circles

I don't know what that means. What happens exactly?

Regarding the Samsung software, did you follow my advice about disabling the anti-virus temporarily? You should also restart your computer by choosing RESTART from the power options.

If the migration process starts then stops after some time then perhaps it's encountered a bad sector on the source drive. Run a full disk check on your C: drive, but be patient, because it could take many hours to complete. If you're going to be doing it from a Command Prompt then run it as Administrator then use the command chkdsk C: /R

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

Japanese fashion illustration makes for one dreamy catwalk

Tim Cook will face antitrust committee on 27 July

App Store : comment obtenir un remboursement ?