New laptop which security needed

Bike-it 12:39 07 Apr 2019

Just got a new gaming laptop which will be used for photo editing, the shop i bought it from advised me that the only security program i need is windows defender, so as my previous computers have CCleaner, super antispyware, malawarebytes and windows defender, which i ran once a week, so what would you guys recomend i use? TIA

john bunyan 13:00 07 Apr 2019

For me, Windows Defender plus Malawarebytes Premium is a good combination; used it for years wit no problems. Some like Kapersky , but I am happy. I use CCleaner to clean stuff and as a mild registry cleaner, and to monitor start up, and to delete unwanted restore points. The occasional use of superantispyware finds ad aware cookies, and I occasionally use ADWCleaner if a suspicion of a address hijack is suspected. Of all the above I find MBAM Premium is the most needed - it blocks suspect websites, finds PUP’s , scans for issues , all live.

alanrwood 13:33 07 Apr 2019

Yes but MWB is not an anti virus program. I would still install at least a free version of an anti virus program although I appreciate that the latest MS Defender has just had a good write up for virus detection

wee eddie 14:03 07 Apr 2019

Kaspersky, which is the paid for version and runs permanently in the background (in my opinion it slows my PC down less that others).

And then, free versions of CCleaner, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare, which I run every Sunday, just before running my weekly backup with a paid-for version of NTI Shadow, on an External Hard Drive which I keep in a Fire Safe.

Forum Editor 11:40 09 Apr 2019

"Yes but MWB is not an anti virus program."

If only it was that simple.

Forum Editor 11:49 09 Apr 2019

I run AVG (Pro version) on all my machines, and nothing else. CCleaner Professional runs on all machines, but that isn't an anti-virus or malware application.

It's been that way for years, and so far all has been well - no viruses, and no malware. All my data files are backed up to an external drive and Microsoft's OneDrive automatically, every fifteen minutes. The software I use (Allway Sync) monitors the folders I tell it to look at, and backs up any changes.

That's it - I have never needed anything else. If you don't go to the dark side and you use commonsense, you should not need anything else either.

KEITH 1955 15:20 01 May 2019

Hi bike it , please check the spelling on the banner of the Malwarebytes program. You say you got malawarebytes , spot the extra "a" you put in the word after the letter l , the reason I mention this is because their is a rouge program doing the rounds that is spelt exactly as you printed it.

If you don't have the genuine program get rid of it asap , get the genuine program and if it finds something do repeated scans until it finds nothing because infections are made up of several segments and not all are deleted on first pass.

p.s I hope I am wrong !

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

Best Monitor for Art and Design

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs