New Laptop struggling with WIFI connection

IanC1989 15:51 10 Jan 2017

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been asked before so I apologise if it has but I'm pretty pressed for time so I appreciate any help.

I got a new HP laptop before Christmas and it works perfectly and connected to my home wifi without any issue.

However when starting my new job in the new year I began to notice that it was having trouble connecting properly to their wifi. My phone is working fine with the wifi as are my colleagues so there is definitely something strange going on with my laptop. I have tried everything in terms on reset ip addresses, manually entering dns, giving my computer a clean boot, running various virus scanners and even succumb to having to completely restore my computer to factory settings and after all that, no joy. It's been 5 days and no change. Is the laptop faulty? If so, why would it work perfectly on my home connection.

Cheers

Forum Editor 15:56 10 Jan 2017

"I began to notice that it was having trouble connecting properly to their wifi."

It is unlikely that there's a hardware fault - if your laptop connects to your home router, it should connect to any router, Presumably it detects your work WiFi router OK?

IanC1989 16:18 10 Jan 2017

Hi,

Yeah it shows it's connected, even at the network and sharing centre properties, there's nothing odd going on, however when actually booting up chrome, edge, Firefox (believe me I've tried them all) it just says there's no internet connection.

Secret-Squirrel 18:39 10 Jan 2017

Ian, sometimes some brands of network adapters don't get on with certain routers. I've experienced this myself and a driver update fixed it so you should head over to the HP support website and see if there's one available for your new laptop.

If your laptop consistently works fine at home then fails to connect at work then other than that I can't think of anything else you can try................unless of course your work WiFi is 5GHz only and your laptop's not compatible - I think that's highly unlikely however.

IanC1989 16:48 11 Jan 2017

Cheers for the ideas guys but nothing worked, I'm thinking a new laptop is needed. It's all well and good using it at home but it's really needed for work and no internet renders it useless.

Cheers for the help guys

Secret-Squirrel 17:24 11 Jan 2017

....but nothing worked,........

Sorry to hear that.

I may be able to think of another potential fix but you'll first need to explain in a bit more detail what you mean by "struggling with WIFI connection" and "having trouble connecting properly" because those statements are too vague.

IanC1989 17:31 11 Jan 2017

Great cheers,

Yeah sure, well the wifi is showing as connected, secured. However once I open up my browser and type a website to go to (most commonly google) it may load but then drop the connection after a few seconds, but It will still show that it is connected, secured.

When it does drop out it shows the page that there is no internet connection and also flashes the page failing to connect to dns address. Again as mentioned in the first post I've tried every solution that people have suggested when putting the error message into google so if you have another I'll happily give it a whirl.

Cheers

Burn-it 17:51 11 Jan 2017

A dongle is far cheaper than a Laptop. I get the feeling that you don't like that Laptop and want a diiferent one.

Govan1x 21:27 11 Jan 2017

Just follw this on the click here to see how it is done Type netsh wlan show drivers into cmd. it is the letters that you need to find out if it only connects to the 2.4 Ghz or both.

Click here.

Secret-Squirrel 08:43 12 Jan 2017

Thanks for the info Ian.

I initially thought that perhaps your problem is being caused by low signal strength but that doesn't explain those DNS errors so it's probably not that.

You could try a different web browser, but again, from what you've said I'm doubtful that it will help. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

Burn-it's idea is a good one and will indeed be a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop. See if you can borrow a wireless USB adapter from a friend or colleague and try it out before making a purchase. Don't forget to disable your laptop's on-board wireless adapter first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?