New laptop, BSOD, Memtest, Windows 10, SSD.

milanvaneijk 18:48 08 Dec 2015

Hi guys, im really going nuts here and hope someone is able to help me out. I'll try and keep it short.

I bought a new laptop last week

Asus n551-JB with following specs: -Intel® Core i7 - 4720HQ Processor -DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket -1TB 5400/7200 RPM -Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600 NVIDIA® GeForce® 940M met 2GB DDR3 VRAM

It had win 8.1 installed on it, with a free upgrade to win 10. However, my old laptop had an Samsung SSD 840, 120GB. So first things first i immediately removed the HDD and added the SSD to my system. Then i did a clean windows 10 install.

When i first booted i got a Memory Management blue screen. However it still booted to windows the second time. Downloaded Samsung magician to see if there was something from with my SSD but it didnt give any indication it did. I updated the SSD Firmware, updated the BIOS firmware and downloaded all the drivers from the ASUS website.

Then i did a fresh format, re-installed and all seemed fine. Then again i got multiply BSOD's ( memory management, corrupted screen error & kernel security check failure )

Im at the stage where i have no clue what-so-ever is going on. Today i did a mem-test which gave back the following results.

1"/> you guys have any clue what this could be?

Do

chub_tor 11:12 09 Dec 2015

Others may have more of a clue than me about the memtest results but the first thing that I would do is to go back to the original hard drive that came with the system. I presume that is untouched. If so put it back in the machine and let it boot up into Win 8.1 and see if you still get errors. That way you can find out if it is a SSD hard drive error or some other error not related to the hard drive.

Secret-Squirrel 13:31 09 Dec 2015

So first things first i immediately removed the HDD........When i first booted i got a Memory Management blue screen..........i did a mem-test which gave back the following results.

MemTest shows that there's a fault with your RAM. That particular test writes random data to RAM then reads it back. If it reads back the same value that was written then the test is passed. In your case it's a fail.

My hunch is that installing the SSD is a red-herring and had nothing to do with those BSoDs.....unless of course you damaged something while you were working inside the laptop.

milanvaneijk 19:20 09 Dec 2015

Thanks for the replies guys! @chub_tor I formated the original drive, but i'll just but that one back and re-install to see if it changes anything.

@Secret-Squirrel The thing is, that the BSoDs dont happen frequent but just very randomly ( heavy working in photoshop or sometimes just when browsing ) But memory being broken in one week seems very unlikely right? And i didnt broke damage anything. Cause all i did was open up the HDD part of the laptop and replace it ( which i did many times before )

Could it be BIOS? Cause the weird thing is, that i can only boot my SSD when i disable saveboot and enable CMS.

milanvaneijk 19:23 09 Dec 2015

*CSM

Pff, sorry for the bad english guys ;)

Secret-Squirrel 09:08 10 Dec 2015

The thing is, that the BSoDs dont happen frequent but just very randomly............

That's what can happen with RAM-related faults - sometimes the computer works fine and sometimes it crashes with a BSoD.

But memory being broken in one week seems very unlikely right?

It is possible, or perhaps the RAM was always faulty.

I can only advise on the information you've provided and your screenshot shows that MemTest detected 46,141 errors. Very occasionally, it's the CPU that can cause those errors.

I can't see how many RAM modules you've got, but if it's two, remove one and repeat MemTest. Do the same for the other module and see if you can identify a faulty one.

PS: Your English is very good so there's no need to apologise :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)